· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Pray for the Persecuted Church
· The White House in Transition
· The Mayflower Compact
· Billy Graham's Prayer For Our Nation
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.." (Psalm 33:12)
1. Federal Stake in Big 3? - AP
Congressional Democrats are pushing legislation to send $25 billion in emergency loans to the beleaguered auto industry in exchange for a government ownership stake in the Big Three car companies. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., hope for quick passage of the auto bailout during a postelection session that begins Monday.
Legislation being drafted by Rep. Barney Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, would dip into the $700 billion Wall Street rescue money, approved by Congress last month, for the auto aid. President Bush is cool to that idea. But the White House says he is open to helping the industry, which is buckling under poor sales, tight credit and a sputtering economy.
· Ask our Lord to grant His wisdom to those who are struggling to find answers to this difficult problem.
· "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
2. Nancy Pelosi: House to Reconvene Next Week - Market Watch
Senate Already Scheduled to Return on Monday
Congress is likely to convene for a busy post-election session next week, with aid to U.S. automakers atop Democratic lawmakers' list of priorities as the industry struggles with a dramatic downturn.
With financial markets still shaky and shares of big U.S. auto companies being battered, the Senate is scheduled to reconvene Monday. The House of Representatives isn't yet officially scheduled to hold a lame-duck session but on Tuesday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for a bill to help automakers, and a leading House Democrat is working on a $25 billion loan for the companies. Pelosi said the House will convene next week.
· A lame duck session of Congress is not unusual. Ask the Lord to direct the members of the House and the Senate to consider wisely all decisions they will face during the rest of this year.
· "If only they were wise and would understand this and discern what their end will be!" (Dt. 32:29)
3. Georgia runoff called 2010 preview - Washington Times
"It's being billed as the 'first race of the 2010 election cycle,' and the national Democratic and Republican parties are furiously pouring money and manpower into the rematch."
"First-term Republican incumbent Sen. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia is trying to hold off Democratic challenger Jim Martin in a runoff vote to be held Dec. 2, which will help determine whether the Democrats can build a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate and may provide an early clue to the clout and coattails of President-elect Barack Obama."
"Mr. Chambliss told reporters in Georgia Monday that the contest represented 'the first race of the 2010 election cycle.' A Martin win would put Democrats tantalizingly close to a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate and complete dominance of the executive and legislative branches."
· Pray that all efforts to steal these elections will be exposed and confounded; and pray For a just and fair runoff vote.
· "When the righteous thrive, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan." (Psalm 29:16)
4. U.S. Treasury teaches 'Islamic Finance 101' - WorldNetDaily
Advisers, scholars promote controversial Shariah funding.
The Treasury Department has announced it will teach "Islamic finance" to U.S. banking regulatory agencies, Congress and other parts of the executive branch today in Washington, D.C. - but critics say it is opening a door to American funding of Islamic extremism. Read more.
· Pray that this seminar is so poorly attended that it is cancelled. However, Americans need to know about this type of conference and the foolishness of Americans even thinking about following Sharia law for the purpose of making money on Wall Street. Call for Christians to enter the world of finances and then pray for their protection from the lure of Mammon.
· "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God: for it is written, "He taketh the wise in their own craftiness." (1 Corinthians 3:19)
5.World has 100 days to fix crisis: EU leaders - Economic Times
European Union leaders backed a 100-day deadline by which the world's leading economies should decide urgent global finance reforms, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Friday. · Ask the Lord why 100 days is the limit for improving the world economies and why French President Sarkozy has the authority to make such a statement. If Americans repent and turn to the Lord for His solutions, then we can receive His blessings on our economy. What happens if the 100-day limit is not met?
· "O, fear the Lord, ye His saints: for there is no want to them that fear Him." (Psalm 34:9)
6. Bush, other leaders to promote interfaith dialogue at UN - Christian Science Monitor
The global effort to build a "culture of peace" among Christians and Muslims and other faiths is gaining some momentum this month, both symbolically and substantively.
After a groundbreaking meeting between Roman Catholic and Muslim religious leaders last week, world political leaders this week are meeting to heighten the visibility and broaden the commitment to interfaith dialogue. On Nov. 12 and 13 at the United Nations, President Bush gathers with a dozen heads of state and other leaders to lend political backing to interfaith initiatives. The prime minister of Britain, leaders of several Muslim nations, and the presidents of Israel, Lebanon, and Palestine are among those participating.
· Scripture indicates that, in the latter days, there will be a one-world religion, with a leader that all mankind will bow down to. Once again, the headlines are telling the news foretold centuries ago by the prophets of old. Scripture is true and cannot lie; there is only one way to the Father, and that is through the Cross. Pray for those who are involved in this meeting, and those who will behold it on television, asking our Lord to draw them to Himself, the one true God, unto salvation. Time is short!
· "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)
7. Ads for buses for those who do not believe in God - Fox News
Ads proclaiming, "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake," will appear on Washington, D.C., buses starting next week and running through December. The American Humanist Association unveiled the provocative $40,000 holiday ad campaign Tuesday. In lifting lyrics from "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," the Washington-based group is wading into what has become a perennial debate over commercialism, religion in the public square and the meaning of Christmas.
· Since the ad has already been accepted for the D.C. buses, pray that Christians will use any discussion to evangelize and to reach out for those seeking to know the truth. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would put the words into our mouths when we had the opportunity to speak.
· "Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
When LORD shall build up Zion, He shall appear in His glory. He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer. This shall be written for the generation to come [lit: the last generation]: and the people which shall be created shall praise LORD." (Psalm 102:16-18)
1. Peres lauds Arab peace plan - Ynet News
President Shimon Peres praised the Saudi-led Arab peace initiative in his speech at the United Nations Wednesday, delivered in the framework of the interfaith dialogue summit in New York. Both Peres and Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni are attending the conference, which was opened with an address by Saudi King Abdullah.
2. Iran test-fires new missile, Israel within reach - Reuters
Iran said it test-fired a new generation of surface-to- surface missile on Wednesday and that the Islamic Republic was ready to defend itself against any attacker.
3. Hamas: We met Obama advisers - World Net Daily
Hamas held a meeting in the Gaza Strip several months ago with aides to President-elect Barack Obama, but the terror group was asked to keep the contacts secret until after last week's elections, according to a senior Hamas official.
4. Israel deploys remote- controlled machine-guns along Gaza border - Canadian Press
Israeli defense officials say the military has deployed remote-controlled machine-guns along its border with the Gaza Strip.
Pray for the Persecuted Church
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me. (Matthew 25:40)
1. Iran: Son of Martyred Pastor Free on Bail, Awaiting Trial
Concerns about the health and safety of the son of martyred Iranian pastor Hossein Soodmand are swirling around Ramtin Soodmand as he awaits trial for "promoting anti-government propaganda."
2. China: Legal Wheels Turn Slowly for Uyghur Christian
Chinese officials have yet to declare a new court date for Alimjan Yimit, a Christian house church leader and ethnic Uyghur in China's northwest province of Xinjiang detained since his arrest on Jan. 12.
3. Pakistan Authorities Threaten To Bulldoze Dozens Of Christian Homes In Lahore
Dozens of Christian families in Pakistan's second largest city refused to vacate their homes Tuesday, November 11, despite the expiration of an order from authorities to leave immediately, Christian rights investigators said.
4. China Releases Key Christian Leader
A key leader of China's rapidly growing underground house church movement who disappeared last month, was free Saturday, November 8, after Chinese authorities released him and other family members, Chinese Christians confirmed.
The White House in Transition
1. As President, Barack Obama Will Immediately Sign "Freedom of Choice Act" - Americans United For Life
While on the campaign trail, Senator Barack Obama stated, "The first thing I'd do as President is sign the Freedom of Choice Act. That's the first thing I'd do." The Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) would eliminate every restriction on abortion nationwide. Barack Obama believes this legislation will "end the abortion wars." To him, "ending the abortion wars" means eradicating every state and federal law on abortion - laws that the majority of Americans support. (Read more)
· Given the season of judgment we have now entered as a nation, could it be that the stench of the lives of the 50,000,000 unborn babies sacrificed in this nation through abortion has now reached the very altar of God, wherein there is no mercy? And yet God IS a God of mercy, as well as justice.
Begin now to cry out for the soul of Senator (and President-Elect) Barack Obama, as he prepares to enter the Oval Office. Enter into travail on behalf of the life of this man, who is about to enter the highest office in our nation. May God yet grip his soul, may the Light of Truth penetrate the darkness of his heart, and may he be set free to know Jesus Christ as his own Savior and Lord. And may all decisions he then makes as President honor the Lord. Amen.
· ". . . here is the king you have chosen, whom you have asked for and the Lord has set a king over you. If you will fear the Lord and serve Him, listen to His voice and not rebel against the command of the Lord, then you and also the king who reigns over you will follow the Lord Your God." (I Sam 12:13- 15)
"He will execute judgment for the peoples with equity" (Ps. 9:7)
2. Catholic Bishops Vow to Confront Obama Administration Over Abortion - AP
The nation's Roman Catholic bishops vowed Tuesday to forcefully confront the Obama administration over its support for abortion rights, saying the church and religious freedom could be under attack in the new presidential administration.
In an impassioned discussion on Catholics in public life, several bishops said they would accept no compromise on abortion policy. Many condemned Catholics who had argued it was morally acceptable to back President-elect Obama because he pledged to reduce abortion rates.
· Pray for continued strength and conviction for Catholic bishops in their determination to convince President- elect Obama of the evils of abortion. Pray for your personal pastor to make a strong stand against abortion if that discussion is absent from the pulpit. Implore the Lord to convict the pastors in your community to stand for life, refusing to let death run rampant in our nation.
· "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." (Galatians 6:9)
3. Audit of Obama Fundraising Unlikely - NewsMax
The Federal Election Commission is not likely to conduct a potentially embarrassing audit of Barack Obama's record-breaking fundraising campaign despite allegations of questionable donations and accounting.
· Ask the Lord to intervene in this issue, moving on the FEC to investigate the sources of much of the campaign funds, some of monies alleged to come from foreign sources, especially Arab, a source that is illegal for American. Ask the Lord to expose any wrong doing if any occurred.
· "Bread of deceit is sweet to a man; but afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel." (Proverbs 20:17)
4. Update: Obama to use executive orders for immediate impact - AP
Bush used his executive power to limit federal spending on embryonic stem cell research, a position championed by opponents of abortion rights who argue that destroying embryos is akin to killing a fetus. Obama has supported the research in an effort to find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's. Many moderate Republicans also support the research, giving it the stamp of bipartisanship.
On drilling, the federal Bureau of Land Management is opening about 360,000 acres of public land in Utah to oil and gas drilling. Bush administration officials argue that the drilling will not harm sensitive areas; environmentalists oppose it. "They want to have oil and gas drilling in some of the most sensitive, fragile lands in Utah," Podesta said. "I think that's a mistake."
Two top House Republicans said there is a willingness to try to work with Obama to get things done. But they said to expect Republicans to serve as a check against the power held by Obama and Democratic leaders in Congress. "It's going to be a cheerful opposition," said Rep. Mike Pence, R- Ind. "We're going to carry those timeless principles of limited government, a strong defense, traditional values, to the American people." Pence, of Indiana, is expected to take over the No. 3 leadership post among House Republicans.
· Pray for a wise use of Executive orders after Mr. Obama takes office. If he is misled by his Democratic leaders, pray that the Lord will block any orders that mock the Lord's Word. Cover Mr. Pence with strength, wisdom, and determination to do what is right in the House.
· "For Thou, Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor wilt Thou compass him as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)
5. Hamas: We met Obama advisers - WorldNetDaily
Terrorist group says campaign asked it to keep contact secret until after election
Hamas held a meeting in the Gaza Strip several months ago with aides to President-elect Barack Obama, but the terror group was asked to keep the contacts secret until after last week's elections, according to a senior Hamas official. Ahmed Yousef, Hamas' chief political adviser in Gaza, told the leading Al-Hayat Arabic-language newspaper Hamas has maintained regular communication with Obama aides that even continued during the past week.
"We were in contact with a number of Obama's aides through the Internet, and later met with some of them in Gaza, but they advised us not to come out with any statements, as they may have a negative effect on his election campaign and be used by Republican candidate John McCain (to attack Obama)," Yousuf told Al-Hayat. (Read more.)
· This article speaks volumes about what is going to be in store for Israel from our new President and his administration! Two specific Scriptures come to mind regarding what is coming for this nation if we continue to turn against Israel. Perhaps the financial judgment we now are experiencing will look like Disneyland in the near future if our nation continues on this course. Pray for mercy and pray for the new administration!
· "I will bless those who bless you, and curse those who curse you!" (Genesis 12:3)
"Behold, I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that causes reeling to all the peoples around; and when the siege is against Jerusalem, it will also be against Judah. "It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured (torn to pieces) and all the nations of the earth will be gathered against it." (Zechariah 12:2-3)
The Mayflower Compact
The American Minute: November 12
The Mayflower Compact
Storms blew the Pilgrims too far north to be under Jamestown's government, so they created their own - the Mayflower Compact.
It was the first constitution written in America.
"In ye name of God, Amen. We whose names are underwritten, the loyall subjects of our dread soveraigne Lord, King James, by ye grace of God, of Great Britaine, France, & Ireland king, defender of ye faith, etc., having undertaken, for ye glorie of God, and advancemente of ye Christian faith, and honour of our king & countrie, a voyage to plant ye first colonie in ye Northerne parts of Virginia . . .."
The Mayflower Compact continued: "Doe by these presents solemnly & mutually in ye presence of God, and one of another, covenant & combine our selves togeather into a civill body politick, for our better ordering & preservation & furtherance of ye ends aforesaid;
and . . . to enacte . . .such just & equall lawes . . .as shall be thought most meete & convenient for ye generall good of ye Colonie, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience."
The Mayflower Compact ended:
"In witnes wherof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cap-Codd ye 11 of NOVEMBER, Ano:Dom. 1620."
Billy Graham's Prayer For Our Nation
'Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance. We know Your Word says, 'Woe to those who call evil good,' but that is exactly what we have done. We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values. We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery. We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare. We have killed our unborn and called it choice. We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable. We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self esteem. We have abused power and called it politics. We have coveted our neighbor's possessions and called it ambition. We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression. We have ridiculed the time-honored values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment. Search us, Oh God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Amen!'
[Note: Commentator Paul Harvey aired this prayer on his radio program, 'The Rest of the Story,' and received a larger response to this program than any other he has ever aired. With the Lord's help, may this prayer sweep over our nation and wholeheartedly become our desire so that we again can be called 'One nation under God.']