Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, February 26, 2013
"At night my soul longs for You, indeed, my spirit within me seeks You diligently; for when the earth experiences Your judgments, the inhabitants
of the world learn righteousness."(Isaiah 26:9)
The Daily Brief
1. US in mad dash to save Syria opposition conference - Times of Israel
The US is frantically trying to salvage a Syrian opposition conference set for this coming week that John Kerry plans to attend during his first official overseas trip as US secretary of state.
- Lord, if this conference, the US efforts to salvage it, and John Kerry's attendance is not of You, we pray it would come to nought. Lord, You instruct us to pray for our leaders, so we now pray for the new Secretary of State, John Kerry. We pray for a Holy Spirit move in his spirit, mind, and heart. Show John Kerry, and the US leaders, what and who they are to refrain from. Amen.
- And now I say unto you, refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, you cannot overthrow it; lest you be found even to fight against God. (Act 5:38-39)
2. Supreme Court is urged to allow gay marriage nationwide - LA Times
The lawyers challenging California's Proposition 8 urged the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday to rule that gays and lesbians across the nation deserve an equal right to marry, ratcheting up the pressure on the Obama administration and the justices.
- Lord, we pray that the California vote protecting marriage between a man and woman be upheld by the Supreme Court. Let them not give into pressure by the lawyers and our government. May the Supreme Court justices make godly decisions in all that they do. Open their spirits, eyes, ears, hearts, and minds to know truth and make righteous judgements. In the name of Jesus we ask You to hear and act on these issues. Amen.
- And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, this is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. (Genesis 2: 22-24)
3. 6 underground tanks holding radioactive waste leaking in Washington state - Fox News
Six underground tanks holding a mix of radioactive and toxic waste are leaking at America's most contaminated nuclear site in Washington, federal and state officials say, posing an eventual risk to groundwater and rivers.
- Lord, we pray that You would repair the leaks. We pray for purity of the groundwater and rivers, and that any contamination be reversed. We ask for a quick solution. We pray for these vessels to be repaired in Washington, for the protection of the people. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- You shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. (Psalm 2:9)
4. Drought forecast to persist in much of U.S., especially the West - LA Times
Much of the West continues to struggle with unusually dry conditions, raising the prospect of another year of wildfires, stunted crops and unnavigable stretches of river in various parts of the country, according to a federal assessment.
- Lord, we pray for rain and watering of the places with dry conditions. We pray that those places will have waters break out, and have streams in the dry and desert areas. Thank You that You can provide water where it is needed. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- For in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.(Isaiah 35:6)
5. Senate moves to final vote on confirming Hagel for Defense - The Hill
The Senate voted Tuesday to end debate and move to a final vote on former Sen. Chuck Hagel's confirmation as Defense secretary. The 71-27 vote paves the way for a final up-or-down vote later Tuesday, and comes after the first-ever filibuster of a Defense Department nominee earlier this month. 18 Republicans voted to end debate, and at least a few of them are expected to support Hagel in a final vote. Sixty votes were needed to end debate.
- Only an act of divine intervention can now stop this nomination from going through. Praise God that, when we are without hope, we can turn to Him. Let's do so now, and trust Him for the miracle we need, to prevent Chuck Hagel from serving as our next Secretary of Defense. Pray!
- "Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you." (Jer. 32:17)
6. Texas Schools Force Girls to Wear Islamic Burqas to School - WND
There's a new controversy in Texas involving the online public school curriculum called CSCOPE, which already has been the subject of heated debate and state legislative hearings. There are reports now that students were made to wear Muslim burqas as part of their public school lessons.
CSCOPE has been facing criticism over its alleged Islamic and anti-American bias. It is a "curriculum management system" now used in 80 percent of Texas classrooms. It recently was the subject of a heated inquiry that culminated in hearings conducted by the Texas Senate Education Committee chaired by state Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston.
- It seems that every where we turn these days, we are confronted with the creeping and ever-increasing influence of Islam in our culture. The schools in the State of Texas seem to be the next battlefront in this war on our culture. In prayer, support the teachers, administrators and parents in this struggle, who insist upon removing all references to Islam from this curriculum. Our God is greater than theirs!
- "For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede." (Dt. 32:31)
7. Beheadings of Christians by Muslim in New Jersey - Religious Freedom Coalition
This week, the New York Daily News reported Islamic violence in Buena Vista, New Jersey: "Cops arrested Muslim Yusuf Ibrahim, 28, of Jersey City on Sunday after detectives found the bodies of the two men, aged 25 and 27, behind a home in Buena Vista Township. Their severed heads and hands were discovered at a separate burial site. The investigation into the grisly murder began Thursday following reports of suspicious activity at the Buena Vista home. Cadaver dogs located the bodies, which both suffered a single gunshot wound to their chests." (Source: New York Daily News, 2/19/13) Police reported in New Jersey that Yusuf Ibrahim beheaded and be-handed two Coptic Christians after shooting them. He buried them in two separate graves in Buena Vista, New Jersey. "It's a shock, something like this doesn't happen," one resident said.
- God, in Your holy Name, bring strict justice against Muslim Yusuf Ibrahim, 28, that he be put to death for this heinous crime. America is not a Moslem nation, nor will it ever be, neither will our government and our people allow Moslem-style violence and brutality. Cover all of America with Your holy cloak of righteousness and raise up a mighty force of law-abiding policemen to take action against this barbaric lifestyle. Protect America by bringing down the ungodly and raising up a standard of righteousness in our country. In Jesus' Name.
- "Oh that God would open the heavens, that You would come down, that the mountains might flow down at Your presence, As when the melting fire burns, the fire causes the waters to boil, to make Your Name known to Your adversaries, that the nations may tremble at Your presence." (Isaiah 64:1-2)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For I am the Lord, I do not change; Therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob." (Malachi 3:6)
1. Obama to tell Netanyahu US gearing up for Iran strike - Times of Israel
When he visits Israel next month, US President Barack Obama will tell Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that a "window of opportunity" for a military strike on Iran will open in June, according to an Israeli TV report Monday evening.
2. Abbas: Israel is murdering our children - Jerusalem Post
In what Jerusalem interpreted as a sign that the Palestinian Authority wants to tamp down the violence, President Mahmoud Abbas said on Monday that Israel wants to create anarchy and drag the Palestinians into a confrontation, but that the Palestinians will not play along.
3. Israel, US successfully test anti-missile system - AP
Israel and the U.S. on Monday carried out a successful test of the next-generation Arrow 3 missile defense system, for the first time sending an interceptor into outer space, where it could destroy missiles fired from Iran.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"And David said to his son Solomon, 'Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God-my God-will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.'" (1 Chronicles 28:20)
1. CHINA: Pastor of a church in Heilongjiang beaten; a mission meeting in Shandong raided - China Aid
On the morning of February 23, 2013, Beijing time, after the international media exposed the case in which a church in Youhao District of Yichun City, Heilongjiang Province was persecuted and its pastor of the church beaten by the police (February 19, 2013), personnel from the Youhao District Public Security Bureau and the agencies in charge of religious affairs went to "negotiate" with Pastor Sun Wenxian of Youhao Church. They made further threats and demands : 1) Do not let lawyers get involved in this case; and 2) They (PSB and religious affairs officials) will investigate the financial situation of Pastor Sun's church, its members, and the content of their sermons (to determine whether there is any anti-government talk).
2. SUDAN: Christian Bookstores Raided, Church Buildings Demolished
- Morning Star News
Authorities confiscate literature, arrest personnel; church leader beaten
Having deported scores of foreign Christians and demolished several church buildings in the past few months, Sudan continued ridding the country of Christianity this week by raiding Christian bookshops in Khartoum and arresting Christians, sources said. Men who described themselves as agents of Khartoum State Security on Monday (Feb. 18) confiscated books, films and archives from the Evangelical Literature Centre, part of the Sudan Presbyterian Evangelical Church (SPEC) denominational headquarters, church leaders said. "They took everything - not a single sheet of paper was left on the shelves," said one church leader. "They took the cinema, old movies and tapes and archives. They filled a big truck with our stuff from the ELC."
3. INDIA: Christians face threat from radical Hindus - WorldNetDaily
ndian Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde says his nation faces an increasing terrorism threat from self-proclaimed "right-wing" Hindu groups, and that's bad news for Christians here. In a report on India television network NDTV Shinde said ultra-nationalist Hindu groups have formed camps to train operatives to carry out attacks. Groups like RSS are a threat to India," he said. That would be Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, which states on its website: "Sangh is not a mere reaction to one or another social or political aberration. It represents a corpus of thought and action firmly rooted in genuine nationalism."
Hanford Nuclear Storage Tanks Leaking
Hanford Nuclear Storage Tanks Leaking
If you live anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, and in particular, anywhere near the Columbia River, it is important that you proactively keep yourself informed on developments at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Washington State. The U.S. Department of Energy has determined the single-shell tanks storing millions of gallons of unbelievably radioactive sludge-like waste are leaking. The DOE, at least publicly, states the rate is around 150 to 300 gallons of liquid per year.
There are 149 single shell tanks on the reservation, which itself sits directly on the Columbia River. One of the tanks of particular concern, on its own, holds 447,000 gallons of radioactive sludge. According to DOE numbers, the entire site contains more than 50 million gallons of highly radioactive waste. According to Washington Governor Jay Inslee: There is no "immediate" health risk.
We will leave you to ponder whether they would actually tell you if there was, in fact, any health risk, as such an admission would open the government and nuclear industry as a whole to tremendous liability. (Threat Journal)
- My Father, protect America from all these attacks by enemy forces against these storage tanks which store millions of gallons of unbelievably radioactive sludge-like waste. Guide the Department of Energy to take extreme action to stop this leakage immediately. Protect our people in the State of Washington with Your mighty hands of power. Thank You, Lord, for revealing this problem so that quick action will be taken to stop the leaks. In Jesus' Name.
- "In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presence saved them: in His love and in His pity He redeemed them; and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old." (Isaiah 63:9)
Obama's Sequester Cynicism
Obama's Sequester Cynicism
In yesterday's report I warned that in spite of the sequester's miniscule size compared to the overall federal budget, Barack Obama is determined to make the cuts as painful as possible. But don't take my word for it. Over the weekend, the Washington Post ran a story headlined, "The Big Sequester Gamble: How Badly Will The Cuts Hurt?"
The article argued that defenders of Big Government need the sequester to be painful in order to convince the American people that the solution is higher taxes, more spending and even bigger government. "The worst-case scenario for us is the sequester hits and nothing bad really happens," one liberal lobbyist confessed to the Post.
That is why Barack Obama is telling us just how awful these cuts will be. Kids will be kicked out of school. Flights will be delayed. Workers will be furloughed and their paychecks will be cut. Today the president went to Newport News, Virginia, to warn that the Navy might have to cancel repairs to 11 ships and lay off civilian workers.
It doesn't have to be this way. But that is exactly how Obama wants it to be! The cynicism of this White House and its allies is breathtaking. They are willing to punish hard-working, taxpaying citizens of this country in order to advance their far-left, big government agenda. (Gary Bauer)
AFA Files Lawsuit Against HHS Mandate
American Family Association Files Lawsuit Against HHS Mandate
A large nonprofit Christian organization in Mississippi filed a lawsuit on Friday against the Obama administration's mandate requiring it to provide possible abortion-inducing drugs in its employee health plans.
The American Family Association (AFA) in Tupelo says the mandate violates its religious freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution and federal law. AFA faces mounting fines if it chooses not to comply.
"As a religious ministry, AFA strongly believes in the right to life and that the killing of unborn children violates the 6th Commandment," Jeff Mateer, general counsel for the Liberty Institute, told CitizenLink. "They've been quite outspoken on life issues. Now they're being told by the federal government they need to include coverage for possible abortion-inducing drugs that violate their religious beliefs." (CitizenLink)
- Offer praise for this courageous act on behalf of the American Family Association. Please pray for this ministry now, as it goes against the "Goliath" of the HHS Mandate. Thank the LORD that Christ in them is stronger than any action of the world system. Stand united with AFA. Thank you.
- David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. (i Samuel 17:45,46)
Meteor Sited in Southern California
Meteor with Sonic Boom in Southern California
Angelenos Report Seeing Object Light Up Sky
Several Southland residents late last Thursday reported witnessing a bright light zoom across the sky.
Dozens of sky watchers told the American Meteor Society that they saw the fire ball. People in Ventura, Anaheim, Van Nuys, Los Angeles, Paso Robles, San Francisco and Santa Barbara posted on the group's website.
In an email to NBC4 News, Laguna Hills resident Patric Barry said he spotted the object out of his living room window at about 10:35 p.m.
"I saw a light and looked directly at the meteor as it came down in the ocean off Corona Del Mar. Bits came off, and it was bright white," he wrote.
The sightings come days after Bay Area residents were treated to a light show of their own when a fireball was seen streaking across the sky. Another fireball sighting was reported this month in Florida, but the most spectacular celestial event occurred when a meteor soared over Russia before the rock slammed into Earth's surface, sending shockwaves across a widespread area. The sightings were reported as a 50-foot asteroid estimated to weigh 143,000 tons -- dubbed 2012 DA14 -- made an historic fly-by. (NBCSanDiego.com)
- Our Mighty God, we are in awe of Your creation and how You use it to get our attention. We pray that the unsaved will see that You are a God calling out to all humanity. May the whole earth look up and be drawn nigh unto You, for these are signs which cannot be denied.
- "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;" (Luke 21:25)
To see the video, go here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Virginia Legislature Passes Bill to Protect Religious Student Groups;
Awaits Governor's Action
The Virginia General Assembly gave final approval to legislation on February 14th to protect religious student groups at public institutions of higher education. The bill, which awaits action by Governor Bob McDonnell, would 1) allow religious and political student organizations to ensure that only individuals who are committed to their missions assist in selecting a group's leaders and members, and in defining the group's mission; and 2) would prohibit public institutions of higher education from discriminating against such student organizations. If enacted, the measure would ensure that religious student groups are able to set their own membership and leadership criteria, enabling them to preserve their unique religious identities and carry out their core functions.
In the 112th Congress, Members of the Congressional Prayer Caucus sent two letters to Vanderbilt University on a similar issue, expressing concern after several religious student groups were placed on provisional status for requiring their leaders to share their religious beliefs. The school's nondiscrimination policy, which requires groups to open leadership positions to all students, prevents religious groups from preserving their unique religious identities. In the second letter, 35 Members of Congress called on Vanderbilt to "modify [its] policy to exempt religious student groups, recognizing what federal law has long provided-that religious organizations should have the same freedom as other organizations to select leaders who are best-qualified to lead the groups." The Members emphasized that allowing a group to select leaders that best represent the group's mission is not discrimination; it is common sense.
- Please pray that this bill will be enacted.
- " . . . if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.