Thank you all for your overwhelming response to the message I sent you yesterday! Please keep it up! And what a blessing you are, too!
Jim Ballenger, Treasurer, CHPP
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for the Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
On Capitol Hill This Week Volume XIX, Number 33a
December 3 - 7, 2012
"Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.The sun and moon will be darkened, and the stars no longer shine. The LORD will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the heavens will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel." (Joel 3:14-16)
- SENATE TO VOTE ON UN DISABILITIES TREATY
- SENATE LIMITS DETENTION OF U.S. CITIZENS
- CONGRESS AND THE "FISCAL CLIFF"
- AMERICAN HOUSEHOLDS HIT 43-YEAR LOW IN NET WORTH
- CONGRESS MAY DO AWAY WITH THE ONE DOLLAR BILL
- H. RES. 814: AGAINST U.N. ARMS TRADE TREATY
- SHARIA/BLASPHEMY LAWS BEING IMPOSED IN THE U.S.
1. SENATE TO VOTE ON UN DISABILITIES TREATY
The United States Senate will vote next Tuesday on a United Nations treaty that represents a grave threat to U.S. sovereignty, parental rights and the well-being of disabled children.
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) sounds innocuous, but it would authorize bureaucrats rather than parents to decide what is best for all children with disabilities.
As former Senator Rick Santorum said, "In America, that is the parents' job, certainly not the government's."
There is an additional provision in this treaty that would require disabled persons to receive "reproductive health" services. This could grant the UN the ability to force America to provide abortions or sterilization to the disabled at taxpayer expense.
This dangerous bill can be stopped if just 34 senators can be found to oppose it. Your senators are getting enormous pressure from the big government, pro-choice crowd to vote for this bill, so it is critical that they hear from you today.
Urge your senator to vote "No" on dangerous UN treaty on disabled persons
We need you to call both of your U.S. senators right now and ask them to oppose the CRPD. You can all the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to the two senators from your state. Please give them some or all of this message:
"I urge you to oppose the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. This treaty surrenders U.S. sovereignty to unelected UN bureaucrats and will threaten parental care of children with disabilities. Our nation already has laws to protect disabled Americans. This treaty is unnecessary and will hurt families. If the Senate ratifies this treaty, it would be the first time ever that the U.S. has ratified a treaty that obligates us to recognize economic, social, and cultural entitlements as rights under domestic law." (American Family Association, Friday, Nov. 30) Read more.
> > > A note from the editor: Last week, we asked for prayer and action that this vote -- originally scheduled to take place at that time -- would defeat the CRPD. We praise God that this vote has now been DELAYED to next week, allowing all of us the time needed to call our senators and to voice our concerns about this treaty. Please continue in prayer and in action until the CRPD is totally defeated. Thank you!
- Heavenly Father, we ask that no treaties would be brought to the Senate floor for advice and consent during the lame-duck session of the 112th Congress. We cherish the independence and sovereignty that You have blessed this nation with from its founding. We ask that You would protect the rights to govern ourselves rather than be manipulated by a world governing body.
- "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1)
2. SENATE LIMITS DETENTION OF U.S. CITIZENS
Senators who have battled for more than a year over military detention of U.S. citizens nearly all supported an amendment from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) Thursday, but the two sides had very different interpretations of what the provision accomplished.
Feinstein's amendment, which states that U.S. citizens or permanent residents shall not be detained without charge or trial, passed the Senate 67-29, with 19 Republicans joining with most Democrats to pass the bill.
Feinstein said her amendment with Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) would prevent the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents captured on U.S. soil. (The Hill)
- Lord, our Righteous Judge, we praise You for this proposed legislation to protect us from military detention from our own government, without cause. We ask that both sides of the aisle in Congress, will find common ground, and be in agreement together to protect us from this intrusion. In Yeshua's Name we pray, Amen.
- "ADONAI-Tzva'ot, righteous Judge, Tester of motives and thoughts, I have committed my cause to you." (Jeremiah 11:20)
3. CONGRESS AND THE "FISCAL CLIFF"
If nothing is done by Congress, $500 billion of spending cuts and tax increases will automatically be triggered that most experts say will plunge the United States back into recession. "If you remove that much money from an economy, there's going to be some effect," said Ron Haskins, senior fellow in economic policy at the Brookings Institution.
What is the fiscal cliff? Under an agreement reached by the two parties in 2011 to raise the debt ceiling, spending cuts would be triggered automatically if Congress could not come up with a plan to balance the budget. Congress hasn't, so the law will come into effect on Jan. 1, 2013.
Nearly 90 percent of Americans would pay more in taxes, either from expiring provisions of the Bush tax cuts, expiration of tax credits from the 2009 stimulus for low-income families, and higher rates for wealthier families by a variety of provisions.(Discovery News) Read more.
- Dear Holy Father in heaven, we ask for Your personal words of wisdom to be given to each of us and our families. We pray for Your wisdom to be poured out upon all people of this nation and their families. We pray that all Americans will look to You Lord for all their needs. We pray for wisdom to be granted to our national leaders who are charged with administering a reasonable resolution to this current national debt crisis.
- "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matthew 6:33)
4. AMERICAN HOUSEHOLDS HIT 43-YEAR LOW IN NET WORTH
The median net worth of American households has dropped to a 43-year low as the lower and middle classes appear poorer and less stable than they have been since 1969. According to a recent study by New York University economics professor Edward N. Wolff, median net worth is at the decades-low figure of $57,000 (in 2010 dollars). And as the numbers in his study reflect, the situation only appears worse when all the statistics are taken as a whole. (CBS News) Read more.
- Heavenly Father, we know that You are the rewarder of those whom You desire to bless. We know that You are our provider. We ask that You help each of us place our dependence upon You and Your grace in troubling times like we are now facing as a nation.
"And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah jireh (The Lord is my Provider): as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen." (Genesis 22:13-14)
5. CONGRESS MAY DO AWAY WITH THE ONE DOLLAR BILL
American consumers have shown about as much appetite for the $1 coin as kids do their spinach. They may not know what's best for them either. Congressional auditors say doing away with dollar bills entirely and replacing them with dollar coins could save taxpayers some $4.4 billion over the next 30 years.
Vending machine operators have long championed the use of $1 coins because they don't jam the machines, cutting down on repair costs and lost sales. But most people don't seem to like carrying them. In the past five years, the U.S. Mint has produced 2.4 billion Presidential $1 coins. Most are stored by the Federal Reserve, and production was suspended about a year ago.
The latest projection from the Government Accountability Office on the potential savings from switching to dollar coins entirely comes as lawmakers begin exploring new ways for the government to save money by changing the money itself.
The Mint is preparing a report for Congress showing how changes in the metal content of coins could save money. (Associated Press) Read more.
- Heavenly Father, our trust is in You in all things. We ask that You grant wisdom to those charged with administering all financial decisions that this country has to make in the coming years. You know what we have need of before we even ask or could conceive of asking. Help us with righteous decision making in the days ahead.
- "The blessings of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it."
6. H. RES. 814: AGAINST U.N. ARMS TRADE TREATY
This treaty would threaten our Second Amendment rights, our domestic defense manufacturing base, and our ability to defend our allies such as Taiwan and Israel. There is no official draft yet, but the UN plans to meet in March for "the Final United Nations Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty" to iron out the details. Obama initially waivered on his support of the treaty, in an effort to avoid a confrontation with gun owners immediately prior to the election. But less than 24 hours after the election he announced that the administration would consider joining the treaty. Rep. Mike Kelly has introduced a resolution (H. Res. 814) urging the president to reject this pernicious treaty. There are currently 78 co-sponsors of this resolution. Find out if your member has signed on to protect American sovereignty and the Second Amendment. (The Madison Report)
- Pray in support for passage of H.Res.814, asking our Lord to move upon the hearts of a majority of members of Congress to support this bill. Pray!
- "I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority . . ." (I Tim. 2:1,2 NLT)
7. SHARIA/BLASPHEMY LAWS BEING IMPOSED IN THE U.S.
Free Speech is no longer a given
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press; or of the people to peaceable assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." -- First Amendment of US Constitution
During a recent hearing of the House Subcommittee on the Constitution, Rep Trent Franks questions a member from the Justice Dept/Civil Rights Division. He asks: "Will you tell us here today, that this administration and the Dept of Justice will never entertain or advance a proposal that criminalizes speech against ANY religion?"
The answer is frightening.
- Stand together, in prayer and in action, against this deliberate encroachment against our freedom of speech as American citizens. Be watchful, in particular, over your own community and your own state, for examples of "Sharia - compliant" laws and ordinances being imposed upon our people. Two key allies in our fight to safeguard this freedom are Brigitte Gabrielle and Andrea Shelton Lafferty. Their websites are cited below.
- "For thus the Lord said to me: "Go, set a watchman; let him announce what he sees." (Isaiah 21:6)
Website for Andrea Lafferty, Traditional Values Coalition, is found here.
Website for Brigitte Gabrielle, ACT for America, is found here.
At the White House
At the White House
- WHITE HOUSE SILENT ON MASSACRE OF CHRISTIANS IN SYRIA
- CIA DIRECTOR CANDIDATE MAY AFFECT DRONE POLICY
- WHISTLEBLOWER PROTECTION ACT SIGNED INTO LAW
- PRESIDENT SIGNS MEMORANDUM: "INSIDER THREAT POLICY"
- HHS MANDATE BEING KEPT OUT OF COURT
- FIVE NEW OBAMACARE TAXES COMING JANUARY 1
- OBAMA'S CZARS TRAMPLE THE CONSTITUTION
1. WHITE HOUSE SILENT ON MASSACRE OF CHRISTIANS IN SYRIA
The final death toll is not yet in from a series of car bombs and suicide bombers who, during the Dawn of the Moslem Spring, attacked the Christian neighborhoods of Damascus and the Christian town of Jaramana. The death toll as of late Thursday was 54, although rescue workers were still digging in the rubble. There has been no condemnation of the attacks on civilians by Obama or anyone associated with the Administration. Senator John McCain who supports Obama's cult Islamist "rebels" also refused to issue a condemnation of the murder of Christians in Syria. (Religious Freedom Coalition) Read more.
- Heavenly Father, we ask that the truth concerning the slaughter of innocent life be brought to the awareness of righteous authorities and that justice will be administered to the parties that are found guilty. We ask that You will help those families that have been affected by these atrocities.
- "Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart." (Zechariah 7:9-10)
2. CIA DIRECTOR CANDIDATE MAY AFFECT DRONE POLICY
As Obama approaches a second term with an unexpected opening for CIA director, agency officials are watching to see whether Obama's pick will signal even a modest adjustment in the main counterterrorism program he kept -- the use of drones as agency policy.
The resignation of David H. Petraeus brought an abrupt end to the short tenure of a CIA director who sought to cement the agency's ties with the military and expand its drone fleet.
The list of possible replacements is led by three CIA veterans who have all contributed to the agency's pronounced shift toward paramilitary operations. Obama's choice could determine whether the trajectory continues or begins to taper off.
White House counterterrorism adviser John O. Brennan, 57, is seen by many as the leading candidate for the CIA job. In recent months, he has expressed concern within the administration that the agency has become too focused on targeted killings, even though he has presided over the sharp expansion of the drone campaign under Obama.(The Washington Post) Read more.
- Heavenly Father, we pray that a righteous director for the CIA would be appointed to this very important governmental post. We pray that You would grant wisdom to that person who takes this appointment. We ask that the person who assumes the responsibility as head of the CIA will know how to call upon the You Lord in the 'day of trouble.'"
- "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me."
3. WHISTLEBLOWER PROTECTION ACT SIGNED INTO LAW
The law, known as the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, expands protections for federal workers who blow the whistle on misconduct, fraud and illegality.
It clarifies the scope of protected disclosures, tightens requirements for non-disclosure agreements, expands penalties for violating protections and adds to the staff of some federal agencies an ombudsman whose job will be to educate agency employees of their rights, a statement said. (Wall Street Journal) Read more.
- Dear Heavenly Father, we ask that You will expose wrongdoing in any governmental agency. Help us to govern our affairs as a nation with integrity and sound principles.
- "When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn." (Proverbs 29:2)
4. PRESIDENT SIGNS MEMORANDUM: "INSIDER THREAT POLICY"
[Note: we are re-posting this news from last week. Given the bill that Obama just signed into law, above, we wonder how that bill might affect federal employees who also must operate under the "Insider Threat Policy" that follows.]
SUBJECT: National Insider Threat Policy and Minimum Standards for Executive Branch Insider Threat Programs
Text of decree:
This Presidential Memorandum transmits the National Insider Threat Policy and Minimum Standards for Executive Branch Insider Threat Programs (Minimum Standards) to provide direction and guidance to promote the development of effective insider threat programs within departments and agencies to deter, detect, and mitigate actions by employees who may represent a threat to national security. These threats encompass potential espionage, violent acts against the Government or the Nation, and unauthorized disclosure of classified information, including the vast amounts of classified data available on interconnected United States Government computer networks and systems.
The Minimum Standards provide departments and agencies with the minimum elements necessary to establish effective insider threat programs. These elements include the capability to gather, integrate, and centrally analyze and respond to key threat-related information; monitor employee use of classified networks; provide the workforce with insider threat awareness training; and protect the civil liberties and privacy of all personnel. The resulting insider threat capabilities will strengthen the protection of classified information across the executive branch and reinforce our defenses against both adversaries and insiders who misuse their access and endanger our national security.
November 21, 2012
- God, hold back the government from deceitfully monitoring these federal employees and finding fault with them, so they can be fired from their jobs. We ask that You protect Your own who are working within the federal government, but who serve You, too, for Your kingdom purposes. Father, send an angel to oversee this process that it be kept clean and legal with ultimate protection on behalf of the righteous. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "For the Lord thy God walks in the midst of your camp, to deliver you, and to give up your enemies before you; therefore shall your camp be holy; that He see no unclean thing in you, and turn away from you." (Deuteronomy 23:14)
5. HHS MANDATE BEING KEPT OUT OF COURT
Attorneys for two religious-based colleges will take their case against the Health and Human Services mandate to an appeals court. Briefs have been filed for a December 14 hearing.
A lower court has dismissed lawsuits filed by two Christian schools -- Wheaton College and Belmont Abbey College -- which object to the mandate that health insurance exchanges under ObamaCare provide free coverage of contraceptives, abortion-causing drugs and sterilization.
Attorney Lori Windham of The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty tells OneNewsNow the reason for the ruling is because the HHS has rewritten its "safe harbor" guidelines, giving the schools another year to comply.
"What happened is the federal government has been playing some games here," says Windham. "They put a safe harbor in place, and then they've changed that safe harbor several times. Every time somebody files a new lawsuit that might actually get this mandate into court to decide whether it's a religious freedom violation, they start changing the safe harbor to keep them out of court." The mid-December court date is for oral arguments before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals. (One News Now) Read more.
- Heavenly Father, we pray that our country's liberties that were granted from its founding by You would be protected from forced abortion mandates. We ask especially for the protection of institutions that were founded upon the liberty to express that abortion is sin and in spiritual terms "murder of innocent life." We pray that all businesses and organizations, as well as individuals who stand on the truth that abortion is murder, be granted the freedom to opt out of paying any blood money to an Obamacare mandate.
- "Yet hear now, O Jacob My servant, and Israel whom I have chosen. Thus says the Lord who made you And formed you from the womb. . ." (Isaiah 44:1-2)
6. FIVE NEW OBAMACARE TAXES COMING JANUARY 1
Although some of the "fiscal cliff" taxes can be avoided through a deal made in Congress, new ObamaCare taxes are guaranteed to kick in on January 1, amounting to $268 billion tax hike. These will include:
The Obamacare Medical Device Tax; The Obamacare "Special Needs Kids Tax"; The Obamacare Surtax on Investment Income; The Obamacare "Haircut" for Medical Itemized Deductions; and The Obamacare Medicare Payroll Tax Hike. (Source: Americans for Tax Reform)
Not only will these taxes hit people in the wallet, but they will also have a negative long term effect on employment and the medical device industry. This is only the beginning, the entire ObamaCare legislation kicks on by 2014 with many more tax hikes to come. (Town Hall Magazine) Read more.
- Lord God, we ask for Your mercy regarding this $268 billion tax increase to start January 1, just one month away. This is a tremendously heavy burden that will be put upon the American people which will cause hardships in various forms Father, we stand against this kind of taxation and we bind it under the blood of Jesus, bringing down the plans of the elite governmental powers and placing them under the power and perfect will of almighty God. Bring repentance to America, Lord, that the people will cry out for God's help and save their souls from destruction. In the Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "Then shall you call upon Me, and you shall go and pray unto Me, and I will hearken unto you. Ane you shall seek Me, and find Me, when you shall search for Me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:12-13)
7. OBAMA'S CZARS TRAMPLE THE CONSTITUTION
Deliberate End Run Around the Senate to Appoint Thugs in Positions of Power in High Places
Barack Hussein Obama has successfully created a shadow cabinet to circumvent the Senate, circumvent the Constitution and keep the evil deeds of his minions from the American people. "Czars" is a proper term, beckoning back to the days of the Russian empire's dictatorial power.
"Under the Obama Administration they have brought in a support system of unelected, unaccountable people who will make this country fundamentally different than what it should be as a republic. The constitution requires that if you are running a cabinet agency you get vetted by the Senate and that vetting is to make sure that you are honest and ethical and can do the job. "It is a deliberate end run to appoint political operatives who could never get past public scrutiny because of their radical views."
Watch film clip now (EXCELLENT, from Western Journalism).
- Unfortunately, Obama is not the first occupant of the White House to appoint a czar into office; President George W. Bush, for example, had a "drug czar" as part of his administration, tasked with overseeing the war on drugs. But this president has now taken the concept of a "czar" to a whole new level, and one which we have been living under since January, 2009. And now that Obama has been voted into office for a second term, we do not see these czars going away any time soon. Cry out to God, asking for His mercy to yet visit our nation in this time of judgment. Only He can save us now from this yoke of oppression and evil in the White House.
- "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the just."
At the U.N.
At the U.N.
- UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY UPGRADES "PALESTINE" TO NONMEMBER OBSERVER STATE
- U.S. STANDS WITH ISRAEL AT THE U.N.
- WASHINGTON LAWMAKERS THREATEN CUTOFF OF PALESTINIAN AID
1. UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY UPGRADES "PALESTINE" TO NONMEMBER OBSERVER STATE
The United Nations General Assembly voted overwhelmingly Thursday to upgrade "Palestine" to nonmember observer state status, a long-sought victory for the Palestinians but an embarrassing diplomatic defeat for the United States. The resolution upgrading the Palestinians' status to a nonmember observer state at the United Nations - the same status as The Vatican - was approved by a more than two-thirds majority of the 193-member world body, in a vote of 138-9, with 41 abstentions. (Fox News) Read more.
- Abba, our hearts are so grieved that world opinion has turned against Your beloved land and people, Israel. We know that an "abstention" is, in effect, a vote for the 'palestinian' entity. You said in Your Word that You would judge all nations in accordance with how they treat Your people, that You would bless those who bless her, and curse those who curse her. We are so grateful that the U.S. voted against this issue, of enhanced status for Israel's enemies. We pray for mercy for those countries who voted against Israel, by elevating the status of their enemy, who has promised to destroy them. Precious Lord, have mercy! Protect and fight for Your people! Amen.
- "Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.The sun and moon will be darkened, and the stars no longer shine. The LORD will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the heavens will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel." (Joel 3:14-16)
2. U.S. STANDS WITH ISRAEL AT THE U.N.
United States Votes "NO" on the U.N. Resolution
Rice: US voted against PA bid because it hinders peace
The US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice explained why the US voted against recognition of Palestine as a UN observer state after the General Assembly's vote.
She stressed that the US believes that the only way to reach a two-state solution is through negotiations. Rice noted that the resolution creates further obstacles to peace. (Ynet)
- In her remarks, Ambassador Rice declared that "this vote does not create a Palestinian state." Thank the Lord for the clarity of the position of our nation, in standing with Israel today, and call forth the blessings that shall surely come upon our people as a result our our actions on this vote. Amen.
- "And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." (Genesis 12:3)
3. WASHINGTON LAWMAKERS THREATEN CUTOFF OF PALESTINIAN AID
A bipartisan group of senators is warning the Palestinians that they could lose U.S. financial aid and face the shutdown of the Washington office if they use upgraded U.N. status against Israel. (Fox News) Read more.
- O Holy Father, we thank You that our nation is taking a stand against this travesty of justice, and standing strongly with Israel. We ask that You give Your wisdom to our lawmakers in dealing with this whole situation. We know that You alone are our Source, and Israel's Source. You will fight for Your people, because You are Jehovah, the Covenant-Keeping God, and that Covenant is everlasting! We see that we cannot look to government or any earthly human being or country for our security, You alone are our Security and our Hope, and we thank You for that! Amen.
- "The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace and remain at rest." (Exodus 14:14)
On Capitol Hill This Week Volume XIX, Number 34b
The Cease Fire in Israel
The Cease Fire in Israel
- ISRAEL AND HAMAS CONTINUE CEASE-FIRE TALKS IN CAIRO
- GAZANS CROSSING FENCE INTO IDF POSITIONS
- HAMAS COMPLAINS TO EGYPT THAT ISRAEL VIOLATING TRUCE
- PICKING UP THE PIECES AFTER GAZA CONFLICT
1. ISRAEL AND HAMAS CONTINUE CEASE-FIRE TALKS IN CAIRO
The pact stipulated that "after 24 hours," the sides would negotiate such issues as free movement for Gazans, the opening of border crossings, and the easing of restrictions on the transfer of goods. A boast by Hamas leaders that the group will continue to bring in missiles and armament from Iran is certain to figure high on the agenda.
(Excerpts of an article by The Media Line, November 27, 2012) [Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
- Pray that the outcome of the cease-fire talks will result in the best possible scenario for both sides. Pray Hamas will abide by their agreement.
- Then surely you could lift up your face without spot; yes, you could be steadfast, and not fear;and you would be secure, because there is hope; yes, you would dig around you, and take your rest in safety. (Job 11:15, 18)
2. GAZANS CROSSING FENCE INTO IDF POSITIONS
IDF soldiers stationed along the border fence with Gaza say they have received new orders on opening fire, which allow Arabs in Gaza to endanger soldiers and Israeli civilians in nearby communities. "Between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. there are hundreds and possibly thousands of people roaming near the fence, including uniformed Hamas men," a soldier told Israel's Channel 2. His identity was disguised to avoid trouble from the IDF. "They crossed the fence several times and went into our forces' positions and destroyed IDF property. The forces cannot push them away from the fence because they may not even fire in the air." A female soldier who is stationed near the fence also spoke to the TV channel, with her voice distorted to prevent identification. "Let us say that the communities in the area are not safe now," she said. "If some armed madman decides to cross the fence he can cross it. It endangers our soldiers because they are exposed along the fence. At any given moment, if they want, they can now fire an antitank weapon at them and hit them easily." Asked what her commanders say about the situation, she answered: "That these are orders from above and we can't do anything about it." The reason for the new instructions is the ceasefire agreement reached with Hamas at the end of Operation Pillar of Defense.
Read at; (Arutz-7) [JNN News]
- O Heavenly Father, the ceasefire rules applied to the IDF make no sense as they do not guarantee any safety for the IDF personnel nor for nearby towns and villages! One cannot have border fences left open to 'former' enemies who continue to carry spirits of revenge and hatred. By their actions, it is shown the Gazans are not respecting the terms of the ceasefire. The Gazans see it as an opportunity to damage and harm. Lord, send Your warrior angels to help Your people with this, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you. (Psalm 39:7)
3. HAMAS COMPLAINS TO EGYPT THAT ISRAEL VIOLATING TRUCE
Increased Palestinian access to the Gaza fence and to fishing waters heavily patrolled by Israel were among conditions lodged by Hamas and other armed factions in the Cairo talks. Israel said it was willing to ease its military clampdown on the territory if the Palestinians did not pose a threat.
Since 2009, the Israelis had enforced a 300-metre-deep no-go zone on the Palestinian side of the border, saying this kept away gunmen and would-be infiltrators. It had also denied Palestinians the means of working swathes of farmland. The army suspended zone enforcement after the Nov. 21 truce, but killed another Palestinian in a similar fence protest two days later. Hamas, while condemning Israel, deployed police to evacuate other demonstrations.
Turkish Prime Minster Recep Tayyip Erdogan attacked Israel as a "terrorist state" on Saturday, speaking during a Turkish-Arab Forum in Istanbul, AFP reported. Erdogan accused Israel of carrying out "ethnic cleansing" in the Gaza Strip, according to the report. The Turkish prime minister also addressed the UN vote to upgrade the status of Palestine to that of a non-member observer state. He stated that despite the upgrade, Palestine remained a state under Israeli occupation. Erdogan called on Palestinian factions to unify to establish a state with east Jerusalem as its capital.
- Lord Jesus, this UN vote is a violation of previous international laws and agreements. The key issue is that it violates Biblical truth! The land of Israel and Jerusalem belong to You alone for use by Your people Israel, but we have countries encouraging this push by the Palestinians faction. We are asking You, Lord, to rise up and stop these lies by showing the Palestinians and all the world how You alone are the God of Israel! We ask You, Lord, to pour forth the fear of You into all of them, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- For I will take you from among the nations, gather you out of all the countries, and bring you into your own land. (Ezekiel 36:24) - The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect. (Psalm 33:10)
4. PICKING UP THE PIECES AFTER GAZA CONFLICT
The emotional damage is, of course, harder to assess. Khaya Dinsky, a schoolteacher in hard-hit Ashkelon, tells ISRAEL21c that she and her colleagues held baskets of candy at the doors of her reopened school on Friday, November 23. "A lot of the children smiled and you could see their bodies relax when they saw us standing there," she says.The impact of 1,500 rockets launched from the Gaza Strip during those eight days is felt strongly in Israel's southern schools, which must compensate for time lost, provide psychological services to traumatized pupils and teachers, and deal with property damage. Dinsky notes that the Ashkelon municipality and private owners have been fixing whatever they can as fast as possible. "One kid I work with said a Grad [missile] fell in the playground he usually plays in, and now you wouldn't know where it hit." Myriad organizations and institutions are offering counseling to residents of the South and elsewhere, such as the University of Haifa's hotline for callers experiencing anxiety, depression, and feelings of helplessness and loss of hope.
Tourism industry leaders in Israel reported cancellation rates of between 10% to 20% during the conflict, and a slow-down on future reservations. But no scheduled airline canceled incoming flights and only a few charter flights were scrubbed. The Tourism Ministry announced a three-month marketing blitz in key overseas markets. Foreign opinion-makers will be invited to visit, while photos and videos of happy tourists in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem will be posted online.
(Excerpts of an article by Abigail Klein Leichman, www.israel21c.org, November 28, 2012) [Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
- Thank God for the current calm in southern Israel. Pray that those who had home, business, and lives damaged by the recent conflict are able to put their lives back together and heal.
- Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, 'The LORD has done great things for them. The LORD has done great things for us, and we are glad.' (Psalm 126:2-3 )
The U.N. Vote
The U.N. Vote
- BY GOING TO UN, ABBAS VIOLATED AGREEMENTS WITH ISRAEL
- ISRAEL'S PRACTICAL RESPONSES TO PALESTINIAN UN MOVE
- PROSOR: UN RESOLUTION PUSHES PEACE BACKWARD
- AFTER UN VOTE, WIDESPREAD CALLS FOR PEACE TALKS
- ISRAEL APPROVES NEW JEWISH CONSTRUCTION AFTER UN VOTE
- U.S. CONDEMNS ISRAEL'S DECISION TO APPROVE CONSTRUCTION
- PA HINTS IT MAY TURN TO ICC OVER NEW W. BANK, J'LEM UNITS
1. BY GOING TO UN, ABBAS VIOLATED AGREEMENTS WITH ISRAEL
Read at: (Ha'aretz/J.Post) [JNN News]
- Abba Father, we ask you to keep a hedge of protection around PM Netanyahu, guiding him as to Your ways and Your will for this hour. He is correct when for the safety of Israel - the open enemies of Israel - such as Iran, cannot have access to Judea and Samaria, being based on a UN vote that violates all previous negotiations. Abba, be with Your special land and people! In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace. (Jeremiah 8:11)
2. ISRAEL'S PRACTICAL RESPONSES TO PALESTINIAN UN MOVE
At this stage Israel's reaction to the Palestinian motion in the UN will probably be low-key. Israel is expected to impose limitations on senior PA officials and cancel their VIP cards that allow them free passage through Israel Defense Forces checkpoints in the West Bank.
Additionally, Jerusalem will likely deduct debts of about NIS 1 billion that the PA owes various Israeli bodies, notably the Israel Electric Corporation. The deduction will come from confiscating the monthly tax revenues that Israel collects for the PA. More stringent steps will be considered in the future in the event of further Palestinian moves such as turning to the International Criminal Court in The Hague or an attempt to be accepted into other UN agencies. A senior official in Jerusalem said Israel is not interested in carrying out immediate reactionary moves that would only serve to further focus international criticism of Israel, and not the Palestinians, who will be pressured after the UN move to renew negotiations with Israel without preconditions.
Read at: (Ha'aretz) [JNN News]
- Abba Father, we come before You to ask that You continue to abide with Israel and its people at this hour, and pour forth Your blessings of healing and comfort and peace of the soul, in Jesus' Name. Impart Your plans to their leaders as they study Your Torah, so that all actions are done according to Your will for this time. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Remember the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope. (Psalm 119:49)
3. PROSOR: UN RESOLUTION PUSHES PEACE BACKWARD
Israel's UN ambassador, Ron Prosor, called the resolution to grant the Palestinian Authority an upgraded status at the UN "so one-sided it doesn't advance peace, it pushes it backward." Prosor spoke shortly before the UN passed the proposal. In a fiercely worded speech opposing the UN General Assembly resolution, he said being made a non-member observer state "will not confer statehood." Prosor, who spoke after PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas, said the largely symbolic boost to his bid for full recognition as an independent neighbor of Israel will in fact "place further obstacles and preconditions to negotiations and peace." He condemned what he said was the PA's refusal to negotiate peacefully or recognize Israel. "The world waits for President Abbas to speak the truth that peace can only be achieved through negotiations by recognizing Israel as a Jewish state. It waits for him to tell them that peace must also address Israel's security needs and end the conflict once and for all," he said. "As long as President Abbas prefers symbolism over reality, as long as he prefers to travel to New York for UN resolutions, rather than travel to Jerusalem for genuine dialogue, any hope of peace will be out of reach," said Prosor. He added that the UN vote will make a negotiated peace settlement less likely, as Palestinians continue to harden their positions. "Unfortunately, it will raise expectations that cannot be met."
Read at: (INN) [JNN News]
- Heavenly Father, Israel's UN ambassador, Ron Prosor, is correct when he says this unilateral action of imposing a Palestinian state pushes back any peace for the region, especially since the Palestinians refuse to acknowledge Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state. We bind and rebuke the spirit of arrogance reflected in this action and ask You, Father, to strike down this arrogance of the Palestinians and the world for their vote for this 'agreement'. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the 'God of Jacob'. (Psalm 114:7)
4. AFTER UN VOTE, WIDESPREAD CALLS FOR PEACE TALKS
Not every diplomat and official who spoke after the UN General Assembly voted to upgrade the Palestinians' statehood status Thursday night was thrilled with the result, but nearly all of them made emphatic calls for a return to bilateral peace talks. The United States, however, was alone in condemning the move, calling it "unfortunate" and counter-productive. But both US ambassador to the UN Susan Rice and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also called on both Israelis and Palestinians to return to negotiations, calling them the only way to resolve the conflict. "We have been clear that only through direct negotiations between the parties can the Palestinians and Israelis achieve the peace they both deserve: two states for two people with a sovereign, viable independent Palestine living side by side in peace and security with a Jewish and democratic Israel," Clinton said in a speech in Washington on foreign policy trends.
Meanwhile, the Vatican hailed the United Nations implicit recognition of a Palestinian state on Thursday and called for an internationally guaranteed special status for Jerusalem.
The 193-nation UN General Assembly overwhelmingly approved a resolution to upgrade the Palestinian Authority's observer status at the United Nations from "entity" to "non-member state," the same status as the Vatican.
At least 17 European nations voted in favor of the Palestinian resolution, including Austria, France, Italy, Norway and Spain. Abbas had focused his lobbying efforts on Europe, which supplies much of the aid the Palestinian Authority relies on. Britain, Germany and others chose to abstain.
The Czech Republic was unique in Europe, joining the United States, Israel, Canada, Panama and tiny Pacific Island states likes Nauru, Palau and Micronesia in voting against the move.
[From Rapture Ready]
- Abba Father, how is it that the Vatican, which should be well versed as to the Bible, and others who should know better, can state that an internationally guaranteed special status be set for Jerusalem where it would be 'owned' by multiple countries and organizations, when the Bible is very clear that Jerusalem is Your city and is the capital of Your land Israel and its people? Lord, have mercy upon them, but bring an intense fear of You upon each and every one of their souls for this 'heresy', in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- He who despises the word will be destroyed, but he who fears the commandment will be rewarded. (Proverbs 13:13) - Blessed be the Lord out of Zion, who dwells in Jerusalem! Praise the Lord! (Psalm 135:21)
5. ISRAEL APPROVES NEW JEWISH CONSTRUCTION AFTER UN VOTE
Less than 24 hours after the United Nations voted to recognize the Palestinian Authority as a non-member observer state, Israel has responded by approving construction of new Jewish homes. On Friday afternoon, the forum of nine senior ministers approved the construction of 3,000 housing units in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria. In addition, the nine ministers decided to promote the building of thousands of housing units in Jerusalem and in the so-called 'settlement blocs', including the area known as E1 and which connects Jerusalem and Maale Adumim.
A senior diplomatic source said, according to a Channel 2 News report, that "continued construction is done according to Israel's strategic interests." The source added that additional measures to respond to the PA's unilateral move are currently being considered. As expected, PA officials reacted with anger to the Israeli decision. "It is an act of Israeli aggression against a state, and the world needs to take up its responsibilities," PLO official Hanan Ashrawi told AFP. "What was announced today is just part of a comprehensive settlement plan," she said.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned on Thursday night, as the UN approved the PA resolution, that Israel would respond in the manner it would find appropriate. "By going to the UN, the Palestinians have violated the agreements with Israel and Israel will act accordingly," said a statement by Netanyahu's office.
- Lord Jesus, we intercede for Your decision on this Israeli housing need problem, and what was announced at this hour in history. We ask that You clearly convey to PM Netanyahu what You would have him do. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust, and does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. (Psalm 40:4)
6. U.S. CONDEMNS ISRAEL'S DECISION TO APPROVE CONSTRUCTION
The White House on Friday condemned Israel's decision to build 3,000 new homes in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria as "counterproductive" and said it would make resuming peace talks harder. "We reiterate our longstanding opposition to settlements and east Jerusalem construction and announcements. We believe these actions are counterproductive and make it harder to resume direct negotiations or (to) achieve a two state solution," said National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor, according to AFP. "Direct negotiations remain our goal and we encourage all parties to take steps to make that easier to achieve," Vietor added.
Earlier on Friday, the forum of nine senior ministers approved the construction of 3,000 housing units in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria. In addition, the nine ministers decided to promote the building of thousands of housing units in Jerusalem and in the so-called 'settlement blocs', including the area known as E1 and which connects Jerusalem and Maale Adumim. The decision came less than 24 hours after the United Nations voted to recognize the Palestinian Authority as a non-member observer state.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned on Thursday night, as the UN approved the PA resolution, that Israel would respond in the manner it would find appropriate."By going to the UN, the Palestinians have violated the agreements with Israel and Israel will act accordingly," said a statement by Netanyahu's office.
- O Heavenly Father, it seems no matter what Israel decides, most of the nations in the world want something different. The US is being asked to work on peace negotiations and condemns the announcement from Israel of new settlement construction to meet much needed housing needs as 'counterproductive'. Father, it seems Israel is viewed as being 'wrong' and other groups as being 'right'! Lord, how shall we pray for this? Lead and guide all involved in this decision, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Redeem Israel, O God, out of all their troubles! (Psalm 25:22)
7. PA HINTS IT MAY TURN TO ICC OVER NEW W. BANK, J'LEM UNITS
The Palestinian Authority hinted Saturday that it was considering complaining to the International Criminal Court against Israel for approving the construction of 3000 housing units in east Jerusalem and the West Bank.
PLO Executive Committee member Hanan Ashrawi said that the Israeli decision was a "war crime" and an "act of aggression against the State of Palestine." She said that the decision was a flagrant violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention, which defines humanitarian protections for civilians in a war zone and outlaws the practice of total war. Ashrawi said that Israel was obviously sending a "premeditated" message to the international community following last Thursday's UN General Assembly vote in favor of upgrading the status of the Palestinians to non-member observer state. "Israel's message is that it is continuing to challenge the will of the international community and international law," she added. "This unilateral and systematic policy is in the context of the Israeli government's scheme to steal the lands of the State of Palestine and the world must hold Israel accountable for its aggression against the lands of the occupied State of Palestine."
Abbas's comment was made before the Israeli government announced plans to build new housing units.
"The Fourth Geneva Convention now applies to the State of Palestine within the 1967 borders," Abbas said. "The lands of the State of Palestine are occupied and it is forbidden to make any demographic changes in them. It is forbidden to transfer the citizens of another country to our state. The presence of Israeli settlers is in violation of international law." Abbas said that the Palestinians were expecting only 115 countries to vote in favor of his statehood bid. "We faced horrific and intolerable pressure," he added.
"What is important now is that the State of Palestine and its capital, east Jerusalem, are under occupation. We will never accept a Palestinian state without Jerusalem."
- Abba Father, what is so tragic is most of the world believes the lies being put forth by Abbas and the Palestinians. Lord, help Israel we plea: and strike down with Your mighty power these lies from the pit of hell, confronting the world's peoples with the lies they are espousing! In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Ah! Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You. (Jeremiah 32:17)
More International News
More International News
- HAMAS: KILLING JEWS IS WORSHIP OF ALLAH
- GAZANS THANK IRAN
- SECRET NEGOTIATIONS UNDERWAY WITH IRAN FOR NUCLEAR DEAL,
- ANGER AS HUNGARY FAR-RIGHT LEADER DEMANDS LISTS OF JEWS
- EGYPT'S TOP COURT SUSPENDS WORK INDEFINITELY AMID PROTEST
- NORTH KOREA TO LAUNCH LONG-RANGE ROCKET IN DECEMBER
During the eight-day military conflict between Hamas and Israel [November 14-21], Hamas broadcast various ideological messages on its official Al-Aqsa TV station. One recurring message called for the killing of Jews, which Hamas defined as a religious Islamic act in worship of Allah. During one music video, these words were shown on the screen: "Killing Jews is worship that draws us close to Allah." Another song on Hamas TV also bragged about killing Jews in a series of short phrases highlighting the achievements of Hamas' Al-Qassam Brigades: "Brigades-we kidnap soldiers, brigades-we kill Jews." While the song was broadcast in Arabic, Hebrew words appeared on the screen addressing Israelis, while pictures of Israelis being attacked and of an Israeli funeral were shown: "Your body parts are scattered everywhere, the cemeteries await you." This song also had an Islamic aspect as it called for liberating the land for Islam: "Destroy the usurper's dens and set fire to the oppressors, through training and preparations, you roar, oh lion of Qassam [Brigades]. It's in your hands to get [our] country back and then we will raise the banner of Islam."
Even the ceasefire and the cessation of hostilities did not end the Hamas hate promotion. The day after Hamas signed a cease-fire agreement with Israel, the same Islamic ideology was broadcast in a different music video: "Repeat in the name of your Jihad: Death to Israel!" While showing footage of explosions and Hamas fighters firing rockets, this song called to "destroy" Israel-"the house of absolute evil" and "the enemies of humanity."
Hamas calling to kill Jews is not new. Palestinian Media Watch [PMW] has documented that both Hamas and the PA in the past have called for killing Jews. PMW has also documented that both Hamas and the PA describe the conflict with Israel in religious terms as a war for Allah and not merely a territorial conflict.
www.palwatch.org (Excerpts of an article by Itamar Marcus and Nan Jacques Zilberdik, Palestinian Media Watch, November 27, 2012)
- Pray that any hatred Hamas has for Israel confuses their minds and leaves them ineffectual. Pray that the terrorist way of life will be seen as injurious to their own people and abandoned. Pray that Americans and Europeans will see the truth of the Hamas' lies and the lack of human compassion and begin to support Israel's efforts to maintain their country. What kind of god do these terrorists believe in?
- I will send My fear before you, I will cause confusion among all the people to whom you come, and will make all your enemies turn their backs to you." ( Exodus 23:27)
2. GAZANS THANK IRAN
Billboards have appeared throughout the Gaza Strip expressing gratitude to Iran for its support in the recent week-long hostilities between Hamas and Israel. Offering public thanks for the first time, the billboards, which are placed at key intersections of Gaza roadways, say, "Thank you, Iran" in Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew and English and feature images of the Fajr-5 missiles. The Iranian-produced weapon, smuggled into Gaza and fired by Hamas terrorists, played an important role in what Israel called "Operation Pillar of Defense" by proving for the first time that Hamas is able to reach deep into the heart of the Jewish state, including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, even though there were no deaths or injuries in those attacks.
Until now, Israeli accusations that Tehran was supplying missiles to Hamas were unproved. Some experts believe the public gratitude is a two-edged sword because the acknowledgement opens the door to measures intended to prevent the re-arming of Hamas weapons stockpiles depleted during the week of fighting.(The Media Line)
- Pray that God will put up blocks that will stop the funding of Hamas by Iran. Pray that whatever is aimed at Israel will not prevail. Pray that the weapons will be ineffectual in targeting Israel and that the Lord will prevent Iran from creating the weapons.
- "They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you. For I am with you,' says the LORD, 'to deliver you.' (Jeremiah 1:19)
3. SECRET NEGOTIATIONS UNDERWAY WITH IRAN FOR NUCLEAR DEAL, FORMER CIA SPY SAYS
Reza Khalili, the former member of Iran's Elite Revolutionary Guard, who later became a CIA spy and escaped to the West, says secret negotiations are continuing between the U.S. and Iran that may result in a nuclear deal before the U.S. elections. (article written October 8, 2012)
The deal on the table is this: If Iran agrees to a temporary halt to their uranium enrichment program before the elections, then some of the sanctions on the Iranian central bank and oil industry will be removed, and there will be greater collaboration with the Obama administration after November 6th,Khalili says.
Khalili continues to cultivate high-level contacts within Iran, but won't divulge his source. "I can't reveal his place in the government, but he's very high up, trustworthy, and has direct knowledge of the negotiations," he notes.
The American and Iranian delegations met in Doha, Qatar October 1st, according to Khalili's source. "The Iranian side was headed by Ali Akbar Velayati, the former Iranian foreign minister and a close adviser to the supreme leader Khamenei. Velayati is currently being sought by Argentina's authorities for the Jewish community center bombing in Buenos Aires that killed 85 innocents in 1994.
"The American team was led by a woman, a representative of the Obama administration , who has been involved with the Democratic Party for a long time," Khalili says. "She has met many times with Velayati. They know each other and trust each other." (ASSIST News Service)
- The time has long passed for these negotiations, but in your prayers please cancel any agreements made between the Obama administration and Iran. Probably the design was to help Obama to regain his presidency. We are still asking the Lord to expose the hidden activities and words. If we couldn't help the Iranians a year ago, when they were fighting for an honest government, why is our government making secret deals now?
"The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms; and He shall thrust out the enemy from before thee and shall say: Destroy them." (Deuteronomy 33: 27)
4. ANGER AS HUNGARY FAR-RIGHT LEADER DEMANDS LISTS OF JEWS
A Hungarian far-right politician urged the government to draw up lists of Jews who pose a "national security risk", stirring outrage among Jewish leaders who saw echoes of fascist policies that led to the Holocaust. Marton Gyongyosi, a leader of Hungary's third-strongest political party Jobbik, said the list was necessary because of heightened tensions following the brief conflict in Gaza and should include members of parliament.
Opponents have condemned frequent anti-Semitic slurs and tough rhetoric against the Roma minority by Gyongyosi's party as populist point scoring ahead of elections in 2014. Jobbik has never called publicly for lists of Jews.
"I am a Holocaust survivor," said Gusztav Zoltai, executive director of the Hungarian Jewish Congregations' Association. "For people like me this generates raw fear, even though it is clear that this only serves political ends. This is the shame of Europe, the shame of the world."
Between 500,000 and 600,000 Hungarian Jews died in the Holocaust, according to the Holocaust Memorial Centre in Budapest. According to some accounts, one in three Jews killed in Auschwitz were Hungarian nationals.
Gyongyosi's call came after Foreign Ministry State Secretary Zsolt Nemeth said Budapest favored a peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as benefiting both Israelis with Hungarian ancestry, Hungarian Jews and Palestinians in Hungary.
"I think such a conflict makes it timely to tally up people of Jewish ancestry who live here, especially in the Hungarian Parliament and the Hungarian government, who, indeed, pose a national security risk to Hungary."Gyongyosi, 35, is the son of a diplomat who grew up mostly in the Middle East and Asia -- Egypt, Iraq, Afghanistan and India -- and whose office is decorated by Iranian and Turkish souvenirs. He graduated with a degree in business and political science from Trinity College in Dublin in 2000.
He worked for four years at the Dublin office of KPMG, then returned to Budapest in 2005 and became their MP in 2010.
The government condemned the remarks. "The government strictly rejects extremist, racist, anti-Semitic voices of any kind and does everything to suppress such voices," the government spokesman's office said.
Laszlo Kover, the Speaker of parliament, who is from the ruling Fidesz party, also issued a statement on Tuesday in which he called for a tightening of house rules that would allow a sanctioning of such behavior.
Gyongyosi tried to play down his comments on Tuesday, saying he was referring to citizens with dual Israeli-Hungarian citizenship. He later told a news conference that he would not resign and considered the matter "closed," national news agency MTI reported.
Jobbik's anti-Semitic discourse often evokes a centuries-old blood libel - the accusation that Jews used Christians' blood in religious rituals. "Jobbik has moved from representing medieval superstition (of the blood libel) to openly Nazi ideologies," wrote Slomo Koves, chief rabbi of the Unified Hungarian Jewish Congregation. Jobbik registered as a political party in 2003, and gained increasing influence as it radicalized gradually, vilifying Jews and the country's 700,000 Roma. The group gained notoriety after founding the Hungarian Guard, an unarmed vigilante group reminiscent of World War Two-era far-right groups. It entered Parliament at the 2010 elections and holds 44 of 386 seats.
The centre-right government of Prime Minister Viktor Orban has struggled to pull Hungary out of recession as many European countries suffer from an economic crisis. More than half of Hungary's electorate is undecided and having retained its voter base, some analysts say Jobbik could hold the balance of power in the 2014 elections between Fidesz and the fragmented left-wing opposition. (Reuters)
- Pray for the safety of the Hungarian Jews, for the governmental attitude of this MP smacks of Nazi Germany, and if the attitude gains greater control, there could well be plans for another Holocaust. Ask the Lord to remove this anti-Semitic politician from office. and to put a love for Jews into the hearts of the Hungarians.
- "For this is what the Sovereign Lord says" I myself will search for my sheep and look after them.I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. " (Ezekiel 34: 11,12,13a)
5. EGYPT'S TOP COURT SUSPENDS WORK INDEFINITELY AMID PROTEST
Egypt's top court suspended its work indefinitely to protest "psychological and physical pressures" after supporters of the Islamist president prevented judges from entering the courthouse Sunday to rule on the legitimacy of a disputed constitutional assembly.
The decision by the Supreme Constitutional Court is the latest twist in a worsening political crisis pitting President Mohammed Morsi and his allies against the mostly secular opposition and the powerful judiciary. The standoff began when Morsi issued decrees on Nov. 22 that gave him sweeping powers and granted the president -- and the constitutional committee -- immunity from the courts.
The Islamist-dominated panel drafting the new constitution then raced in a marathon session last week to vote on the charter's 236 clauses without the participation of liberal and Christian members. The fast-track hearing preempted a decision expected from the SCC on whether to dissolve the committee. The judges on Sunday postponed their ruling on that case. A day earlier, Morsi announced a referendum on the draft charter on Dec. 15 despite opposition protests and questions about the document's legitimacy. The president's seizure of vast powers has galvanized Egypt's disparate opposition groups, who have united in their demands that Morsi rescind the decrees and create a constituent assembly that is more balanced and inclusive. Having already held mass rallies last week in Cairo that drew as many as 200,000 people, the opposition parties and activist groups have now called for a march Tuesday on the presidential palace in Cairo's Heliopolis district as a "last warning."
Morsi's supporters countered the opposition rallies with a 100,000-strong rally in Cairo on Saturday to voice their support for the president and the draft constitution. Islamists boasted their turnout showed that the public supports the push by the country's first freely elected president to quickly bring a constitution and provide stability after nearly two years of turmoil. But the dispute has polarized an already deeply divided Egyptian public, and thrown the country -- already suffering from rising crime and economic woes -- into its worst turmoil since Morsi took office in June as the country's first freely elected president.
The Supreme Constitutional Court called Sunday "the Egyptian judiciary's blackest day on record," describing the scene outside the court complex, with Islamist demonstrators carrying banners denouncing the tribunal and some of its judges. Supporters of Morsi, who hails from the Islamic fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood, claim that the court's judges are loyalists of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, who appointed them. Morsi's backers accuse the judges of trying to derail Egypt's transition to democratic rule.
The judges also had been expected Sunday to rule to on the legitimacy of the Islamist-dominated upper house of parliament, known as the Shura Council. By suspending its work, the court joined the country's highest appeals court and its sister lower court in their indefinite strike to protest what they see as Morsi's infringement on the judiciary. Most judges and prosecutors in the country have been on strike for a week. The strikes by the judges is indefinite and there have been calls within their ranks to extend their action to a boycott of overseeing the Dec. 15 referendum, something that would further question the legitimacy of the entire process. The opposition is likely to call on its supporters to boycott the vote.
Morsi's opponents say his call for a referendum broke an election promise not to do so unless there was consensus on the document, something that is missing as the 88 members of the panel who voted on its clauses included no liberals or Christians. There were only four women, all Islamists. The draft has a distinctive Islamic bent -- enough to enforce Shariah law.
- Praise the Lord that He has heard the cries of the Egyptian Christians and the moderate Moslems as they call out for justice in their homeland. The Egyptians do not want another dictator, especially not a member of the Moslem Brotherhood! Pray for a peaceful settlement between the Moslem Brotherhood and the those who oppose their tricks to take over the country. Pray for the Egyptian justices that they not succumb to Morsi and his supporters. Unfortunately, violence seems the only stronghold against the take-over. Continue to pray for the safety of the Egyptian Christians. Ask the Lord to put a cloud of fear over Morsi and his supporters.
- "The Lord has mingled a perverse spirit in her midst; And they have caused Egypt to err in all her work. In that day Egypt will be like women and will be afraid and fear because of the waving of the hand of the Lord of hosts, which He waves over it."(Isaiah 19: 14,16).
6. NORTH KOREA TO LAUNCH LONG-RANGE ROCKET IN DECEMBER
North Korea is to launch a long-range rocket between 10 and 22 December, its official news agency says. The KCNA agency said the aim was to launch a satellite. Previous - unsuccessful - launches have been criticized as breaches of a UN ban on North Korean ballistic missile tests. The announcement is likely to increase tensions with North Korea's neighbors, with South Korea expressing concern over Pyongyang's announcement.
South Korean officials called the move a "grave provocation" and a "challenge to the international community". The atmosphere in South Korea is especially tense as the country prepares for a presidential election scheduled for 19 December, the BBC's Lucy Williamson reports from Seoul.
Earlier this week South Korea halted a satellite launch minutes before take-off after problems were found during the final checks.
North Korean scientists and technicians had now "analyzed the mistakes" of the April launch, the Korean Committee for Space Technology said, via KCNA. The rocket will be of the same Unha-3 variety as was used in the April test. It will be launched "southward" from the Sohae base near the Chinese border, KCNA said, implying it would be directed over the East China Sea. The flight path had been chosen to avoid debris falling on neighboring countries, the agency said.
"Unha" is Korean for "galaxy", and is the name given by North Korea to the space launcher version of its Taepodong-2 missile, which has an estimated range of 2,200km. The missile has not yet been successfully tested.
There had been recent speculation that North Korea would attempt another launch soon, with a UN Security Council committee on Thursday warning the country against such a move. Saturday's statement insisted the forthcoming launch would be for "peaceful purposes". The test will be the second to take place under the leadership of Kim Jong-un, who took over leadership of the country after the death of his father Kim Jong-il almost a year ago.(BBCNews Asia)
- In spite of N. Korea's attempt to build and launch a rocket missile, we praise the Lord for the concerns about avoiding neighboring countries. The rocket could be quite dangerous to American soil because of its long range. What are the N. Koreans trying to prove to the world? South Korea is certainly in the path of any missile. Pray for the safety of the South Koreans. Many Christians live in S. Korea, and a prayer mountain has been established at the border of the two nations. S. Korea has also taken in those who escaped from N. Korea. Pray that this new rocket missile will fail in its launching as did the one launched this past April.
- "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds" (2 Corinthians 10: 4)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
LORD OUR GOD
"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His footstool. He is holy."
Lord God, how I praise You for this wonderful plan of redemption that You had before time began. Thank You that You made a way where there seemed to be no way, Lord our God. You did it back then and I thank You that You continue to work like that today. It is a privilege to be Your child.
"I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High." (Psalm 7:17)
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)