· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· The Economy in Crisis
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, October 14, 2008
"When your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness." (Isaiah 26:9)
The Daily Brief
1. Connecticut Supreme Court legalizes 'gay marriage' - Baptist Press
Connecticut became the third state in the nation to legalize "gay marriage" Oct. 10, when its Supreme Court issued a much-anticipated ruling declaring that homosexual couples are guaranteed the right to "marry" under the state constitution. California and Connecticut aren't the only states embroiled in a debate over "gay marriage." The Iowa Supreme Court will hear arguments in a "gay marriage" case Dec. 9.·
Father, forgive us in this nation for allowing things to get out of hand. Where we should have taught our people, we have become as the world and not made a difference in these issues of abortion and homosexuality.
· You shall teach these laws to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. (Deuteronomy 11:19) NIV
2. Biohazard bag baby's death blamed on unlicensed staff - WorldNet Daily
A civil lawsuit is being launched in the Florida case of a baby girl who survived an abortion procedure, but promptly was shoved into a chemical-laden biohazard bag - filled with chlorine bleach - where police found the body nine days later. "While the Miami-Dade County medical examiner determined that Shanice was born alive, he concluded her death was 'natural,' resulting merely from her 'extreme prematurity,'" officials with the Thomas More Society said.WND columnist, Jill Stanek, said the baby's brief life and her death "demonstrate the need for the Born Alive Infants Protection Act. While it was legal to kill Shanice pre-birth, it was "wrongful death" to do so after, even if she wasn't viable.
· As this case comes to light, we pray Heavenly Father, that You will forgive this nation and open the doors for us to end this abomination of abortion. Give leaders, pastors, and people who have had abortions boldness to speak out against it!
· Deliver those who are drawn toward death, And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter. If you say, "Surely we did not know this," Does not He who weighs the hearts consider it? He who keeps your soul, does He not know it? And will He not render to each man according to his deeds? (Proverbs 24:11, 12) NIV
3. U.S. Stocks Rally Most Since 1930s on Bank Plan; Dow Gains 936 - Bloomberg
U.S. stocks staged the biggest rally in seven decades on a government plan to buy stakes in banks, and a Federal Reserve-led push to flood the global financial system with dollars. The worst of the immediate danger is past,'' said Bruce McCain, chief investment strategist at Key Private Bank in Cleveland, which manages $30 billion. ``It's always easier when you've got markets going up and you're not having to talk clients back in off the ledge.''
· As we enter these perilous times, we pray Lord, that You will lead us and encourage all who love You.
· "Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today, lest - when you have eaten and are full . . . then you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.' (Deuteronomy 8:11, 17) NIV
4. De-Fund ACORN, Republican Leader Insists - AP
Questionable or duplicate voter-registration forms submitted by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, have turned up in as many as nine states, including so-called swing states. The FBI plans to investigate the group. "It's a matter we take very seriously," FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton told the Associated Press. "It is against the law to register someone to vote who does not fall within the parameters to vote, or to put someone on there falsely."
· Lord, You said You hate deceit. And our nation is full of deceit. Take the blinders off our people so that they can see. Give them boldness to stop the deceit and wisdom to pick the right candidate. Let this fraud stop immediately.
· The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.
5. Former Comptroller General Cites $53 Trillion Shortfall: 'No One Will Bail Out America' - CNSNews
The United States faces a $53 trillion shortfall in the funds needed to cover promised entitlements, including Medicare and Social Security benefits, and neither Congress nor the presidential candidates are doing anything about it, former Comptroller General David Walker warned this week. Worse, if the U.S. isn't careful, Walker said, "increasing entitlement benefits" - with unfunded liabilities of Social Security and Medicare now estimated at $53 trillion - could trigger a tsunami of debt - and whopping tax increases - could drown our economic future.
· Father, our government is unable to stop this avalanche of debt. There are too many entitlements. We come against greed, and we pray Lord, that You will loosen us from that debt. Help our leaders to trim the pork that is weighing us down.
· I was enraged by his sinful greed; I punished him, and hid my face in anger, yet he kept on in his willful ways. I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will guide him and restore comfort to him. (Isaiah 57:17) NIV
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "'So beginning with the fifteenth day of the seventh month, after you have gathered the crops of the land, celebrate the festival to the LORD for seven days; . . . you are to take choice fruit from the trees, and palm fronds, leafy branches and poplars, and rejoice before the LORD your God for seven days." (Lev 23:39-40)
1. Israel seals off West Bank ahead of Sukkot holiday - Ha'aretz
Israel security forces sealed off the West Bank early Monday, allowing Palestinian movement out of the area only in special medical cases, ahead of the first day of the Jewish Sukkot holiday.
2. Palestinian forces uncover large explosives lab in Hebron - Ha'aretz
Palestinian general intelligence forces have uncovered a very large bomb-making laboratory in the center of the West Bank city of Hebron, the Palestinian news agency Ma'an reported Friday.
3. Kadima-Labor deal anticipated following late-night talks - Jerusalem Post
Kadima leader Tzipi Livni is expected to complete an important step en route to forming a new government early Monday morning, with a deal anticipated between Kadima and its largest coalition partner, Labor.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
Prayer Point: Pray that the man of God's choice would be given wisdom and ability from the Lord to overcome any obstacle or difficulty during this campaign.
1. Obama Campaign Develops Symbols for Many Categories of Voters
The campaign for Senator Barak Hussein Obama has now developed a separate logo, or symbol, for each group of voters in America. To view these symbols, go here .
2. With Election Day Nearing, Distasteful Rhetoric a Two-Party Problem - Fox News
John McCain's not the only candidate whose supporters are using distasteful rhetoric on the campaign trail. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/13/election-day-nearing-distasteful-rhetoric-party-problem/
3. McCain Unveils $52.5 Billion Economic Rescue Plan - Fox News
John McCain, in his economic rescue plan, proposes the elimination of taxes on unemployment benefits, a reduction in the tax rate on retirement accounts and a cut in the capital gains tax. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/14/mccain-unveils-billion-economic-rescue-plan/
4. Mickey Mouse Tries to Register to Vote - Fox News
The cartoon character's application, which included a stamped logo of ACORN, was rejected by Florida elections officials over the summer. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/14/mickey-mouse-tries-register-vote/
∙ As we come closer to the time to vote, Lord, help us to be cautious of falsehoods and cheating that will come from those trying to control the election. Lord, give comfort to those who are laboring with good intentions and bring to light deceit.
∙ "I possess good advice and competence; I have understanding and strength. It is by me that kings reign and rulers enact just law; by me, princes lead, as do nobles and all righteous judges. I love those who love me, and those who search for me find me." (Proverbs 8:14-17)
THE ECONOMY IN CRISIS
For all the headlines below, we lift up this prayer today: Lord, in this time of noise and confusion, still our hearts to allow us to recognize Your sovereignty in power over the nations of the earth. The stock markets and financial institutions are theoretical powers while You are a real and present comfort to us. Thank You for the plan that You will raise out of this chaos.
· "You do not have to fight this battle. Position yourselves, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD. He is with you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Tomorrow, go out to face them, for the LORD is with you." (2 Chronicles 20:17)
1. Dow Roars 936 in Record-Breaking Rally
Reversing course on last week's historic losses, the Dow posted its best one-day point gain ever Monday, as the gloom and doom on Wall Street vanished - at least temporarily - amid the latest global rescue efforts.
2.Discontent Buffets the Nation; Bush Craters, Obama Benefits - ABC News
A tornado of economic discontent is buffeting the nation, sending satisfaction with the country's direction to a 35-year low, George W. Bush's approval rating below Richard Nixon's worst, and Barack Obama, boosted by economic empathy, to his best-yet advantage in the presidential race.
3. Gov't Mulls Plan to Take Ownership Stakes in Banks - AP
Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson told international leaders on Sunday, that isolationism and protectionism could worsen the spreading financial crisis. With a new trading week dawning, U.S. lawmakers urged quick action by the Bush administration on measures to make direct purchases of bank stock to help unlock lending.
∙ Lord, let us keep perspective on the financial happenings as the change from day to day. You know the long term ramifications, and we need to rest in the knowledge that You are always in control.
∙ Now I know that the LORD gives victory to His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven with mighty victories from His right hand. Some take pride in a chariot, and others in horses, but we take pride in the name of the LORD our God. (Psalms 20:6-7)