· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief August 28, 2008
"Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; I take refuge in You." (Psalm 143:9 NKJV)
The Daily Brief
1. Condi Pulls A Solomon: Split Jerusalem In Two - WorldNetDaily
Diplomatic sources revealed the status of secret talks to create a Palestinian state later this year following the visit of U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to Jerusalem and the Middle East Monday. According to top diplomatic sources involved in the talks, she has been pressing Israel to sign a document by the end of the year that would divide Jerusalem by offering the Palestinians a state in Israel's capital city as well as in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, also has been negotiating the division of Jerusalem - despite claims to the contrary - but would rather conclude an agreement on paper by the end of the year that would give the Palestinians a state in the West Bank, Gaza and some Israeli territory, leaving conclusions on Jerusalem for a later date.
The Palestinian team has been pushing to conclude a deal by January on all core issues, including Jerusalem, and has been petitioning the U.S. to pressure Israel into signing an agreement on paper that offers the Palestinians eastern Jerusalem. Rice, diplomatic sources said, has asked Israeli leaders to bend to what the U.S. refers to as a "compromise position," concluding an Israeli-Palestinian agreement by the end of the year that guarantees sections of Jerusalem to the Palestinians. But Israel would not be required to withdraw from Jerusalem for a period of one to five years.One Palestinian negotiator said that both sides have been meeting on a daily basis, usually at the highest levels, and that Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, and Chief Palestinian Negotiator Ahmed Queri, have been leading the talks. One U.S. plan for Jerusalem obtained by WorldNetDaily, was divided into timed phases, and called for Israel eventually to consider forfeiting parts of the Temple Mount, Judaism's holiest site.
Any Israeli-Palestinian paper agreement is to finalize a process that began at last November's U.S. backed Annapolis conference, which seeks to create a Palestinian state, at least on paper, before Bush leaves office.
· Dearest Lord Jehovah, we cannot believe what is happening secretly between Israel and Palestine, while the negotiators think that no one is looking. May these hidden talks be revealed and those involved be rebuked by You so that they will not seek to divide Israel or Jerusalem anymore. Please spare America and Israel from further calamities due to the disregard of their leadership to Your Word, that states those who come against Israel will be cursed. And may Israel, the "Apple of Your Eye," be restored to Her true boundaries and greatness that You promised to her through Moses and Joshua. In Your Name we pray, Jesus. Amen.
· "Moses My servant is dead. Now therefore, arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them--the children of Israel. Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon as far as the great river, the River Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your territory." (Joshua 1: 2-4 NKJV)
2. Obama Acceptance Speech Amidst "Greek Temple" Designed To Invite Celebrity Status - Fox News
Barack Obama is poised to invite a new wave of Republican criticism that he is an inflated celebrity, when he accepts the Democratic nomination Thursday at a stadium decked out to resemble a rock concert venue. Invesco Field at Mile High, where Obama will accept the nomination Thursday, before a crowd of more than 70,000 people, is now completely covered by a circular seating arrangement and includes what appears to be a Parthenon-type structure behind the center platform.Obama's team says the event, which will require the apparatus of the Democratic National Convention to move from the Denver Pepsi Center, is meant to open the doors of the otherwise exclusive convention to the public. But the grandiose set-up will no doubt fuel criticism from John McCain's campaign that Obama is an inflated celebrity. Obama began receiving the 'celebrity' label after he delivered a speech to 200,000 onlookers in Berlin during his trip abroad to Europe and the Middle East."
As a visual it'll be tremendous," said Democratic strategist Bob Beckel. "But the problem is that the visual has been a little bit of a negative for him over the last few months." Obama aide Dan Pfeiffer said "it is not true" that the campaign had any doubts about the Invesco event. And Beckel said he's sure the Obama campaign thought through all the visuals. "If it did (have any doubts), those Greek columns would've been down," he said, adding he's not going to bet against Obama in a speech.
· Gracious Lord, may Sen. Obama, his campaign team and the Democratic Party realize before it is too late, that there is no other God, but You.
· "You shall have no other gods before Me." (Exodus 20: 3 NKJV)
3. TS Gustav Floods Haiti, Kills 11 as It Threatens to Become Hurricane, Slam Gulf Coast - Fox News
As Tropical Storm Gustav moves away from Haiti, the Louisiana and Texas coasts are preparing for a date with a possible Category 2 or 3 hurricane, as the storm could regain strength later in the day or on Thursday. The tentative forecast track pointed toward Louisiana, but forecasters said it might hit anywhere from south Texas to the Florida panhandle if it continues to develop.The threat of a hurricane slamming the Gulf Coast comes as the region nears the anniversary of hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In a news conference in Baton Rouge, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, said he could declare a state of emergency by Thursday and warned residents to be prepared. If the storm stays on its projected path, it could make landfall in Louisiana on the first day of the Republican Convention, that is being held in Minneapolis, MN.
· Dearest Father who created the wind and the waves. We humbly ask You to spare any more destruction and loss of life from soon-to-be Hurricane Gustav. As it crosses over warm waters, we ask that You will calm it's winds instead of strengthening them, and that it will churn out to sea, instead of staying on course to the Gulf Coast. Please calm all of those in this storm's path, and may they turn to You for their true salvation. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.
· "But He said to them, 'Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?' Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm." (Matthew 8: 26 NKJV)
4. Police: Mexican Cartels Give OK To Hit U.S. Targets - Associated Press
Warring Mexican drug cartels have given their hit men permission to cross into the United States to kill their targets, according to warnings received by U.S. authorities. Police and federal agents told The Associated Press about the warnings Monday, and officials along the border are beefing up security.
El Paso spokesman Officer Chris Mears, says authorities learned of the threat last week. U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Border Patrol officers have also been told about the threat and have ramped up security at border crossings. Drug cartel violence has claimed thousands of lives across Mexico this year. Nearly 800 people have been killed this year in Ciudad Juarez, a hard-scrabbled city of about 1.3 million people across the Rio Grande from El Paso.
· Father of all peoples. You created man in Your image. It has to grieve You to see Mexicans killing Americans for drug money. Please stop this violence and carnage before it even happens. May the Mexican Drug Lords and U.S. Agents and Police, and the countries of American and Mexico be saved for Your Son's Glory and Honor. We pray these things in Your Name, Jesus. Amen.
· "If He passes by, imprisons, and gathers to judgment, then who can hinder Him? For He knows deceitful men; He sees wickedness also. Will He not then consider it?" (Job 11: 10-11 NKJV)
5. Russia Not Afraid Of Starting New Cold War, Receives Warning From The West - The Australian and Fox News
Russia has put the West on alert for a new Cold War that Moscow says it is ready to fight, with its President Dmitry Medvedev saying Tuesday, he recognized the independence of two breakaway republics South Ossetia and Abkhazia, from Georgia. "We are not afraid of anything, including the prospect of a Cold War," he said.But the move brought condemnation from the West, with US President George W. Bush pressing Moscow to "reconsider this irresponsible decision."
The seven nations, United States, Britain, France, Canada, Germany, Japan and Italy, that along with Russia make up the G-8; issued a statement that underlined Russia's growing estrangement from the West, and its decision to recognize South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent countries that violated Georgia's territorial integrity. Two weeks ago, officials had told The Associated Press that the G-7 was weighing whether to effectively disband what is known as the G-8 by throwing Moscow out. Sources said Wednesday, Russia was eyeing the possibility of invading Poland next to slow down the building of a joint U.S. missile defense system.
The East-West dispute has pushed Russian share prices to the lowest level in almost two years, and the ruble has fallen. But Moscow appears confident the West needs Russia too much - for energy supplies, and co-operation on international issues - to risk a serious rift over Georgia. Mr. Medvedev, whose troops still occupy positions in Georgia, including in the vital Black Sea port of Poti, said he did not want a return to the Cold War, but "everything depends on the position of our partners."
· Commander of the Heavenly Host, we humbly ask You to bring peace to this region and to Russia. Poland doesn't need to be devastated again because of a potential war with Russia, and Georgia needs Your protection to rid itself of the Russian army that already has devastated it. May Messrs. Putin and Medvedev, be divinely influenced by Your Holy Spirit to yield to Your Way of doing things, which includes establishing and maintaining peaceful relationships with their neighbors. May many be saved due to these conflicts, and may You receive all of the Glory. In Your Son's Holy Name we pray. Amen.
· "He pours contempt on princes, and disarms the mighty. He makes nations great, and destroys them; He enlarges nations, and guides them." (Job 12: 21& 23 NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble; may the name of the God of Jacob defend you." (Psalm 20:1)
1. Diplomat: Russia to up naval presence in Syrian ports - Ha'aretz
The Russian navy will make more use of Syrian ports as part of increased military presence in the Mediterranean, a Russian diplomat said on Wednesday.
2. Iran: Israel too vulnerable to attack - Ynet News
Israel would not dare launch an attack on Iran for fear of the Islamic Republic's missile array and the support of its Islamic allies in the region, the head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, General Mohammad Ali Jafari, said on Wednesday.
3. Ancient Dead Sea Scrolls to Go Online - NewsMax
Israeli and American scientists are bringing the oldest known version of the Hebrew Bible into the 21st century. They're digitally reproducing the Dead Sea Scrolls online.