· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Iran in the News
· Prisoner Swap: Humanity v. Inhumanity
· 3 Weeks of Prayer for Israel: Background
· A CALL TO PRAY & FAST FOR ISRAEL
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, July 18, 2008
"The path of the righteous is level; O upright One, you make the way of the righteous smooth." (Isaiah 26:7)
The Daily Brief
1. Bush Surveys Record-Breaking Calif. Wildfires - Associated Press
President Bush offered federal help and encouragement Thursday to some of the 25,000 firefighters working under a blazing sun to contain wildfires that make up the single largest fire event ever recorded in California. Bush took an aerial tour with Schwarzenegger to survey fire damage in the 2.1 million-acre Shasta-Trinity National Forest, the largest in California. "I'd like to let the people out here know that we're paying attention in Washington, D.C.," Bush said. "We care about you and we'll respond as best as we possibly can."
· Lord, give Your hand of blessing and protection to the fire fighters and their families. We pray for those who have suffered loss in these fires. We are a limited people with an all powerful God. We ask You to move quickly to extinquish the fires.
· "The LORD will be a refuge for the oppressed, A refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You." (Ps. 9:9-10)
2. Oil Prices Plunge for Third Day - MSNBC
Oil prices fell below $130 a barrel for the first time in more than a month Thursday, as a dramatic slide entered a third day along with a sharp sell-off in natural gas. Oil prices fell more than $10 over the previous two days on growing concerns that inflation and other economic concerns could reduce demand for crude.
· Thank You, Lord, that the prices are dropping per barrel. We continue to ask for a reduction at the pump that will stabilize our economy. and help people meet their needs. The earth and all it contains belong to You and we praise Your name for You are so good.
· "The earth is the LORD's and all it fullness, The world and those who dwell therein. For He has founded it upon the seas, And established it upon the waters." (Ps. 24:1-2)
3. U.S. To Open Alaskan Acreage For Oil Drilling - Financial Times
The US federal government on Wednesday said it would open 3.9m acres of land in a designated petroleum reserve in Alaska for drilling as a means to help curb rising petrol prices. "This is welcome news at a time when Americans are paying record prices at the pump," said C. Stephen Allred, assistant US Secretary for Land and Minerals. "Together with proposed new production from other offshore and onshore areas, these increased supplies will help to stabilise energy costs." The Alaska decision follows one by President George W. Bush on Monday to lift a presidential ban on drilling on the US outer continental shelf, off Florida. That decision still requires Congress to lift a separate ban on the area before the area can be leased for development.
· We give You praise, Lord, for the wisdom of lifting this ban. We pray for Congress to do their part in making this area available for future use. We pray for wisdom over all our resources that we will be good stewards of these supplies of energy.
· "There is desirable treasure, And oil in the dwelling place of the wise, But a foolish man squanders it." (Prov. 21:20)
4. Gay Marriages Won't Count in 2010 - Fox News
Census Bureau says federal Defense of Marriage Act bars the agency from recognizing gay marriages in the 10-year count.
· Lord, we thank You and humbly pray for this standard set in Your word to continue in America. Put a guard over this defense for marriage that will never be moved.
· "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (Eph. 6:10-11)
5. Gates Wants More Troops For Afghanistan In Shift Of Priorities - Agence France-Presse
US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wednesday he wants to send more troops to Afghanistan "sooner rather than later," signaling a shift in priorities from Iraq amid warnings of an accelerating Taliban threat. Gates and Admiral Michael Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff also said Pakistan needed to do more to stop the unimpeded flow of Taliban and other fighters into Afghanistan from safe havens in Pakistan.
· Father God, pour Your blessings over our military and their familes with the comfort of Your presence. Give wisdom to our leaders in making decisions toward victory over the Taliban in Afghanistan. We ask for strength and resolve in Pakistan to take authority over all Taliban and violent groups.
· "I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel; My heart also instructs me in the night seasons. I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved." (Ps. 16:7-8)
6. U.S. and Iraq Seek 'Time Horizon' for Troop Exit - APIraqi officials, in sign of growing confidence as violence decreases, pressuring U.S. to agree to specific timeline.
· As the battle lines begin to shift now in the Middle East, lift up "all in authority" in prayer, that they WOULD seek the wisdom of God in all they do: timing, repositioning and redeploymnet of our troops on the front lines.
· "For God is not a God of disorder but of peace . . ." (I Corinthians 14:33)
7. Government Holdings of Wheat are at Zero - Tri-State ObserverI
DAHO FALLS, ID - Quietly, the last of the U.S. government's wheat reserves, held in the Bill Emerson Humanitarian Trust, were sold in late May o nto the domestic market for cash. The cash was put in a trust for food aid. With no other government wheat holdings, U.S. government wheat stocks are now totally exhausted. Read more.
· This is such a serious report!! If EVER there were a need for REPENTANCE, it is NOW! We invite you to join us every Sunday evening, as we come before the Lord to repent for the sins of the church and the nation, asking even so for mercy in time of need. These "Calls to Repentance" are now archived, too, on our new blog: Pray!
· " The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, if a country sins against me by being unfaithful and I stretch out my hand against it to cut off its food supply and send famine upon it and kill its men and their animals, even if these three men-Noah, Daniel and Job-were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign LORD. " (Ezekiel 14: 12-14)
8. Obama Campaign Unveils Details of Overseas Trip - Fox News
Barack Obama's campaign on Friday unveiled details of the presidential candidate's upcoming trip overseas, outlining the series of meetings he plans to hold with foreign heads of state while denying charges that the trip is a global campaign swing. Aides to the Illinois senator said Obama has no intention of making policy overseas or stepping into the role of president and that he only intends to discuss ways to enhance "cooperation" between the United States and its allies.
· Pray that the stated purposes of this trip, as announced above by Senator Barack Hussein Obama's aides, are adhered to; and pray that the leaders and people overseas understand that any statements made at this time are "only" those of a United States senator. Obama will visit MANY nations and talk with MANY heads of state on this trip, which begins this Sunday. To read the whole list, go here
· "Let no one deceive you with empty words . . ." (Ephesians 5:6)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: " . . . you shall rejoice in LORD, and shall glory in the Holy One of Israel." (Isaiah 41:16)
1. Palestinians say peace talks set for Washington, leaders meeting next week - Jerusalem Post
A Palestinian negotiator said Thursday that trilateral peace talks are set for Washington this month. The negotiator, Saeb Erekat, told The Associated Press that Israeli and Palestinian negotiators will meet there with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
2. Mofaz repeats his talk of attacking Iran - Jerusalem Post
Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz, who stands a good chance of becoming prime minister shortly after September's Kadima primary, defended his hawkish statements about a prospective attack on Iran this week in an interview with The Jerusalem Post.
3. Blair says peace deal is being undermined by doubts over Ehud Olmert - Times Online
A day after he was prevented from visiting Gaza by an assassination threat, Tony Blair raised doubts for the first time yesterday that a peace deal could be concluded between Israel and the Palestinians by the end of the year. Mr Blair, the international community's envoy to the Middle East, said that the uncertain political future of Ehud Olmert, the Israeli Prime Minister, was undermining efforts to conclude a deal, which President Bush had said would be signed in 2008. "The political situation in Israel makes it difficult to continue being optimistic about reaching a peace treaty between the Israelis and Palestinians by the end of the year," the former Prime Minister told the Palestinian newspaper al-Quds.
4. Kuntar vows to avenge death of Mugniyeh - ICEJ News
Prays at grave of slain Hizbullah terror mastermind PLO child-killer Samir Kuntar and four other Lebanese terrorists just released by Israel spent their first full day of freedom on Thursday praying at the graveside of assassinated Hizbullah terror mastermind Imad Mugniyeh and vowing to continue the fight against Israel.
5.Goldwasser, Regev finally laid to rest - ICEJ News
Pair killed in initial Hizbullah raid two years ago Following two years of hope and uncertainty for their families and the entire nation of Israel, abducted IDF reservists Eldad Regev and Ehud Goldwasser were finally laid to rest in military cemeteries on Thursday. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi all paid their final respects during an intimate ceremony at an army base in the North. "We would like to thank the entire Jewish nation. This nation is our answer to [Hizbullah leader Hassan] Nasrallah, who is trying to play with our emotions," said Shlomo Goldwasser, Ehud's father.
Iran in the News
For all the headlines below, we thank God for the promise of His Word: "O LORD, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you." ( 2 Chronicles 20:6)
1. Iran-linked attacks subside in Iraq - USA Today
The number of deadly armor-piercing roadside bombs, which the U.S. government has linked to Iran, has dropped by nearly 70% in the past three months, the U.S. military says.
2. Report: U.S. to Establish First Diplomatic Presence in Iran Since 1979 - Fox News
The United States in the next month will announce plans to establish a diplomatic presence in Tehran for the first time in 30 years, a British newspaper said on Thursday.
3. Iran 'Positive' Over Nuke Talks - Sky News
Senior American diplomat William Burns is set to take part in groundbreaking direct talks in Geneva tomorrow (Saturday, July 19th)Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili will meet with Undersecretary Burns and European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana, as well as officials from Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China.Mr Jalili was quoted as saying: "If they (the US) enter (negotiations) with a constructive approach and by avoiding previous mistakes, we can definitely have good and constructive negotiations."
· Offer earnest prayer over these developments! As recently as last week, Presient Bush was saying there would be no contact until uranium enrichment is suspended. We know not why the winds are now suddenly changing regarding U.S. - Iranian relations, but we do know to pray for WISDOM for Ambassador William Burns druing these negotiations. PRAY!
· "GIVE THE king [knowledge of] Your [way of] judging, O God, and [the spirit of] Your righteousness to the king's son [to control all his actions]." (Psalm 72:1 AMP)
4. Syria: Alliance with Iran won't suffer - Ynet News
Iran's foreign minister on Thursday briefed Syria's president on the international standoff over his country's nuclear program.
5. Waiting for Islam's Messiah - CBN News
Iran's president believes Allah has chosen him to prepare the world for the coming of an Islamic 'savior' called the Mahdi.
6. Saudi Arabia offers Russia arms deal to curb Iran ties - Reuters
Saudi Arabia has offered to award major arms contracts to Russia in return for Moscow curtailing cooperation with Iran, Russia's Kommersant newspaper reported on Tuesday, citing unidentified diplomatic sources.The Kremlin declined to comment immediately on the report, as did Saudi Arabia's embassy in Moscow.
Prisoner Swap: Humanity v. Inhumanity
Israeli Prisoner Exchange Shows Contrast Between Humanity and Inhumanity
He moved out the door of the airplane and down the steps to the cheers of tens of thousands of his countrymen. He was welcomed by the president of the country. The prime minister hugged him. There were dozens of political and military officials greeting him and his four comrades. The leading religious leaders of the country were also on hand. Speeches were given, there were many cheers, tears and joyful faces. It had been a long hard road, but now he was safely home. And he vowed to continue his fight even stronger than before, saying, "At this point, I am yearning more than before to confront them." And the crowd cheered wildly. A welcome home truly fit for a hero.
"He", of course, is Samir Qantar, who returned to Lebanon after spending 30 years in an Israeli prison. He was part of the live terrorist for dead soldiers swap that the Israeli government agreed to during the week. Qantar was the longest held terrorist in Israel, being in prison for 30 years. He was there because he had brutally bludgeoned to death a four year old Israeli girl with the butt of his rifle during a terrorist raid on an Israeli community. His "hero's welcome" by the Lebanese Prime Minister and President speaks volumes of the theory that democracy will end terrorism--it won't. His welcome by the chief terrorist leader of Hezbollah shows that Qantar was a great propaganda tool.
Much could be said about the Israeli government caving in to terrorist demands to swap live terrorists for the bodies of two true heroes--most of which is the foolishness of willingly being the dupe for terrorists and giving them a platform. But herein is a distinct difference between the Jew and the Islamist. As a people, the Jews are tender hearted, peace loving and by and large carry the values of the Bible in their very beings. What else would prompt them to respect their fallen soldiers so much that they would risk, and receive, such ridicule and dishonor to honor their dead and the families of the dead?
But what of the Muslims on the other side? They claim to worship the same God--the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. But they do not. They worship only the death and destruction of anyone who disagrees with them. They call Jews monkeys and pigs, yet monkeys and pigs have more honor and decency among them as animals than does the entirety of Islam. They do not follow the God of the Bible, otherwise they would find peace, love and harmony among their brethren. They give a hero's welcome to a ruthless baby killer, when he should be stoned to death. Proverbs 29:10 says, "The bloodthirsty hate the upright: but the just seek his soul." We have witnessed the empty souls of an empty false religion that threatens mankind.
Word of Life Ministry www.dailyjot.com
3 Weeks of Prayer for Israel: Background
Historically, the three weeks between 17th of Tammuz until the 8th of AV (July 20 - Aug. 10 this year) have marked a time of great devastation for Isarel.
Historically, the twenty - one days extending from the 17th of Tammuz until the 8th of AV represented a notable time of bitterness and destruction of the Jews. A According to the Rabbis, the demon that prevails during this time is also called "ketev" meaning destruction/bitterness.
The Rabbis regarded "ketev" not solely as a plague, but a demon with authority to cause death and destruction through plagues. It was during this precise time that the Lord's prophecy concerning the destruction of Jerusalem was fulfilled. On the 17th of Tammuz 70 AD the Romans breached the walls of Jerusalem. For three weeks Roman troops ransacked and destroyed the city until the 9th of AV when they burned the Temple. In both the Babylonian and Roman captivity, the Temple was destroyed on this agonizing date.
It is reported that during the Holocaust, the Nazis systematically inspired actions against the 9th of AV to carry out murderous and other demonically inspired actions against the Jewish community. The prophet Zechariah spoke of these dates in Zech. 8:19: Thus says the LORD of hosts, "The fast of the fourth, the fast of the fifth, the fast of the seventh, and the fast of the tenth (months) will become joy, gladness and cheerful feasts for the house of Judah; so love truth and peace." (Zech. 8:1)
The fast of the fourth month was to be conducted on the 17th of Tammuz representing a day of mourning because of the capture of Jerusalem and the various other calamitous events that took place on this date. The fast of the fifth month was to take place on the 9th of AV because of the historical tragedies that occurred on this date. These periods of mourning and fasting were to be conducted until the promise of the coming restoration of Judah and the Messianic Kingdom.
(Source: Tom Hess, Jerusalem House of Prayer)
A CALL TO PRAY & FAST FOR ISRAEL
Dear Watchman, Greetings from Jerusalem.
We are again calling a Daniel Fast (Daniel 1:12) from the 17th of Tammuz until the 9th of Av, (July 20th to August 10th) this year. You can see on the following pages what has happened in history during this period and just 2 years ago about 5000 missiles were fired from Lebanon by Hizbullah backed by Iran to try to destroy Israel.This fast is for you in the nations -- the "air force" -- to stand with the "ground forces" in each city making up three 24 hour watches. 12 congregations from Tel Aviv area, 12 congregations from the North of Israel and 12 congregations from the South of Israel.
Join us in Jerusalem on a Daniel's Fast and Prayer during this 21 day period for the following purposes:
1. For God's protection over Israel
2. For God to open a big fountain of salvation over Israel and the surrounding Arab nations.
3. For the four winds of the Spirit (Ezekiel 37:9) to bring the Jews from all nations back to Jerusalem and to their God and Messiah.
4. For God to raise up Godly Government leaders in Israel the Arab nations, the USA and all nations who will stand with God's covenant with Israel & the Church & who are standing for God's Kingdom to come instead of their own kingdoms.
5. For God to raise up the fullness of the watchman on the walls of Jerusalem in all nations to stand for the breakthroughs through their cities back to Jerusalem standing for the breakthroughs for their cities and gates back to Jerusalem.
6. For God's provision for all delegates from all nations (at least 200 nations) to join this year in Jerusalem at the All Nations Convocation to present their lives and nations to the Lord to be transformed by the King of Jerusalem and all nations that from Japan, the ends of the earth will revere His glory and will be filled by the Glory of the Lord as the water covers the earth.
7. For the breakthrough for US$ 150,000 needed to sponsor so that the leaders from 60 poorest nations out of 240 can be represented with all nations in Jerusalem.
8. Sounding of the Shofars: At 08:00 AM (Jerusalem time) on the 8th of August, the 8th month of 2008 (888) we are asking watchmen in all nations to go to the highest places and to sound their shofars for 8 minutes fueled by worship with prayer towards Jerusalem until 9:00 AM Jerusalem time (when the Holy Spirit was poured out 2000 years ago in Jerusalem) believing God for the four winds of the Spirit to bring breakthroughs to Jerusalem and the Nations and from the ends of the earth for the things mentioned previously to be fulfilled for His Kingdom to come on earth as in heaven and for the earth to be filled with the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea preparing the way for the King of Glory.
Jerusalem House of Prayer