CHPP Daily Brief - February 28, 2011
• The Daily Brief
• The Middle East in Focus
• The Daily Jot
• News on the Hill
• At the Gas Pump --
• Arabs Call for "Day of Rage"
• The Good News Corner
• Worship with Us Today!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
" . . . you are my refuge in the day of disaster." (Jer. 17:17b)
The Daily Brief
1. Farrakhan: Mideast uprisings will come to US - Chicago Tribune
Nation of Islam leader Minister Louis Farrakhan predicted on Sunday that America faces imminent uprisings that mirror those in the Middle East.
- Cancel any violence and uprisings in the USA, predicted, plotted, and prepared. Does Mr. Farrakhan, never a prophet, know something the general public does not? Does the FBI? Pray that the Moslem world rejects any offers from the Nation of Islam for help in these predicted uprisings. Cancel the words of Louis Farrakhan, in Jesus' Name. Amen.
- " . . . all unrighteousness shuts its mouth." (Psalm 107:42b)
2. Economists' biggest worry: Federal budget deficit - CNN
Government deficits are the biggest long-term worry of top U.S. economists, according to a survey released Monday.
- How good it is to know that economists are concerned about our deficits as well as the people of the USA, many of whom have started to tighten their belts and spend more wisely. While we know that Mr. Obama has his own agenda, pray that he will stop asking for more spending for our nation. Ask the Lord to cancel any unnecessary, wasteful use of taxpayers' funds that Mr. Obama incurs - like flying around the country campaigning before 2012 is even on the calendar. The Lord is able to deal with our nation's debts if we let Him.
- "Since You are [our] rock and [our] fortress, Therefore, for Your Name's sake, lead [us] and guide [us]." (Psalm 31:3)
3. Church group blasts Obama for abandoning Defense of Marriage Act - AP
Large coalition of 34,000 black churches condemns Obama's stand on DOMA
A coalition of 34,000 black churches is blasting President Barack Obama's decision to stop defending the federal law that bans recognition of gay marriage. The Rev. Anthony Evans, who heads the National Black Church Initiative, says Obama "has violated the Christian faith" by failing to uphold Jesus' teaching that marriage is between a man and a woman. The Justice Department announced Wednesday that, at Obama's direction, it would not defend the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act in a court case where it's being challenged. As a result, Evans says black churches must "reassess their extraordinary support for him." White House Press Secretary Jay Carney says Obama is still "grappling" with his personal views on gay marriage but has long opposed the federal law as unnecessary and unfair.
- Sing praises of thanksgiving to the Lord for this stand being taken by the coalition of black churches. The president must decide where he stands - with God or with politics. Please pray that Mr. Obama chooses God's way and tells the Justice Department and Attorney General Eric Holder to rescind any statement that violates DOMA.
- "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)
4. Libyan rebels fight back military, shoot down aircraft - Jerusalem Post
Opponents of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have held off an attack by pro-government forces near the town of Misrata and shot down a military aircraft, a witness told Reuters on Monday.
- Praise the Lord for the spirit of freedom that He has put into the souls of all of us! Should the USA do more than scold Gaddafi for his terrorism against his own people? Please pray for the safety and protection of the Libyan people as they try to overthrow the bonds of their dictator. Pray that someone will have Gaddafi's ear long enough to tell him that murder is evil and that trying to hang onto power will not gain him any place in paradise. Pray for Gaddafi's soul.
- "God is the refuge and strength [of the Libyan people], a very present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)
5. Libyan Leaders Defiant as U.N. Security Council Clamps Down, U.S. Calls for Qaddafi's Exit - Fox News
The Obama administration will offer "any type of assistance" Libyans seeking to oust Muammar al-Qaddafi need, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Sunday before jetting off to Geneva for talks with diplomats about establishing a unified front against the dictator.
- Although President George W. Bush was mocked for calling for democracy in the world during his second inaugural speech, the Obama administration has been forced to follow suit in helping the countries of the world find democratic principles. Pray that the words of the Secretary of State quoted above are not rhetoric but will be put into action. Pray and ask the Lord to raise up a righteous leader for the people of Libya. Pray!
- "The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but He loves him who follows righteousness." (Proverbs 15:9)
6. South Korea-US drills begin despite North Korean threat - BBC
Large-scale military exercises involving American and South Korean troops have begun, prompting North Korea to threaten "all-out war". The training drills are held every year and commanders insist they are purely defensive. But talks between North and South Korea aimed at easing tensions between the two countries broke down recently.
- Pray that this nasty warning from North Korea is merely rhetoric full of bluster and bullying but without any action. Decree that this foolish but dangerous leader of North Korea will very soon be retired from his position and that a leader who knows the Lord will be installed in that sad country. Place a prayer blanket over all those involved in the military drills.
- "Rise up, O Judge of the earth; Render punishment to the proud. Lord, how long will the wicked , how long will the wicked triumph?" (Psalm 94:2,3)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
" . . . I will contend with him who contends with you . . . " (Isaiah 49:25b)
1. Russian missiles could be passed on to Hezbollah - Jerusalem Post
The Defense Ministry issued a statement Saturday regarding publications that Russia intends to complete a deal to transfer cruise missiles to Syria. "This deal was signed two years ago and has been in the process of implementation for some time, despite Israel's appeals to Russia regarding the matter."
2. Report: IDF injured two in Gaza attack - Ynet News
IDF artillery fire at Gaza's airport Monday morning caused at least one injury, Palestinian sources reported. The IDF responded that forces had identified a terror cell responsible for a number of previous attacks against Israel.
3. Barak: Assad ready to consider Israel-Syria peace deal - Ha'aretz
Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Monday that Syrian President Bashar Assad is prepared to consider a peace agreement with Israel.
The Daily Jot
When Lawlessness Abounds:
Obama's Admirer Predicts Revolution at Your Door
Nation of Islam Leader Lois Farrakhan delivered his four hour annual "Savior's Day" speech to followers in Chicago on Sunday. The Chicago Tribune reports that Farrakhan told his followers that revolution is imminent in America: "What you are looking at in Tunisia, in Egypt ... Libya, in Bahrain ... what you see happening there ... you'd better prepare because it will be coming to your door," The Tribune said Farrakhan delivered the prediction in a booming voice, with thousands of followers cheering in response. Farrakhan called on the current president to allow protesters to march, urging the him not to attack innocent people when they do.
Farrakhan is an admitted admirer of the current president, calling him at one time the "Messiah." So when Farrakhan, a long time radical and considered by many a racist toward caucasians, says there is going to be a Middle East style revolution in the United States, more than Homeland Security should take notice. Labor Unions--translated socialist activists--in Wisconsin already have started this protest movement over a financially troubled state wanting public employees to pay their fair share of health insurance. Duly elected legislators have gone into hiding to block legislation that mandates the cuts. In other words, they are violating their oath of office to side with those who wish to undermine the "democratic" process.
This is also occurring from the White House, who not only is supporting the Wisconsin protests, but also has gone against the democratic process and is breaking the law. The White House has said it will no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act, defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman. The White House has ignored court decisions that the socialist healthcare law is unconstitutional and is proceeding with its implementation. The White House has ignored a court order to allow offshore drilling for oil by refusing to issue permits. Congress voted down a White House proposal for an economic advisory committee, so the president established it by executive order. This list of lawlessness is not a short one.
The Washington Post reported on February 18, that the president's "political machine worked in close coordination Thursday with state and national union officials to get thousands of protesters to gather in Madison and to plan similar demonstrations in other state capitals." What separates the American experiment in representative government is the rule of law, not the rule of those who shout the loudest. Jesus said of the latter days in Matthew 24:12, "And because lawlessness abounds, the love of many shall wax cold." He is speaking of the lawlessness of sin and iniquity, the non-compliance to God's law. Can you see the parallel to what is coming to your door?
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Word of Life Ministry
News on the Hill
"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (I Timothy 2:1 - 4 NKJV)
1. Congress eyes deal to avoid govt shutdown - AFP
The US Congress faces a looming deadline this week to reach agreement on spending to avoid a federal government shutdown that could have chilling consequences for the US economy.
- Continue to pray for the recently completed successes of the House to be adopted in the Senate.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
2. John Boehner: Debt a 'moral threat' to the country - Politico
The national debt is a "moral threat" to the United States, House Speaker John Boehner said Sunday, an impending peril about which some people are realizing they "better start praying."
3. Boehner rips bid to regulate Internet - Washington Times
House Speaker John A. Boehner lashed out against efforts to regulate Internet traffic before an audience of evangelical Christian media leaders and pointedly responded to Obama by comparing the challenge of the burgeoning national debt to the Sputnik-era space race.
4. Conservatives vow to make gay marriage 2012 issue - CQ
Angered conservatives are vowing to make same-sex marriage a front-burner election issue, nationally and in the states, following the Obama administration's announcement that it will no longer defend the federal law denying recognition to gay married couples.
5. Oversight Committee subpoenas Homeland Security officials - CQ
Legislative Oversight of the Executive Begins
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) issued the subpoenas as part of his committee's probe into the White House's levels of transparency.
6. Thrifty Congressmen Sleeping in Capitol Hill Offices is Not a Scandal
- Christian Coalition of America
Despite the outcry from the liberal wing of the minority party in the House of Representatives and their counterparts in the news media about conservative Members of Congress sleeping in their offices, most Americans admire such frugality. The incessant whining by liberals will not change the sleeping arrangements of these mostly conservative Congressmen.
Press reports have indicated that there are at least 33 members -- 26 Republicans and seven Democrats -- who sleep where they work; apparently no female members sleep in their offices.
7. Speaker Boehner: House Will Defend Marriage - Gary Bauer
As we reported Friday, we have been talking to our friends on Capitol Hill about how to respond to Obama's declaration that the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional. I'm pleased to report that Speaker John Boehner is promising that the House will defend traditional marriage.
Speaking to CBN's David Brody this weekend, Boehner denounced Obama's action as "raw politics" and "pandering" to the militant homosexual rights crowd. He added, ". . . if Obama won't lead, if Obama won't defend DOMA, then you'll see the House of Representatives defend our actions in passing a bill that frankly passed overwhelmingly."
At the Gas Pump --
The American Solution To Rising Gas Prices
Gas prices spiked 10 cents last week to a national average of $3.29 a gallon. The Associated Press reports, "That's the highest level ever for this time of year, when prices are typically low." And it's only going to get worse from here. The AP adds, "Since 2000, prices in May have been 52 cents per gallon on average higher than in February." The immediate problem is unrest in the Middle East. Libya is the world's 15th largest oil exporter. The head of Libya's state-run oil company admits that at least half of its production has been shut down, although there are reports today that the flow may increase.
There is an American solution. A new study finds that Alaska could become the world's eighth largest oil producer if only Obama and the radical environmentalists would end their war against America's energy companies and permit more drilling there. (Gary Bauer)
Arabs Call for "Day of Rage"
America's U.N. Veto Outrages Arabs
Sets Up "Day of Rage"
The Obama administration's attempt to have it both ways left Palestinians outraged and Israelis miffed at the American veto of a U.N. Security Council resolution condemning Israeli building on post-1967 lands [West Bank, or Judea and Samaria, and East Jerusalem] on Friday [February 18].
For the Palestinians, the resolution was a litmus test of Obama bona fides as honest broker in the peace process. For the Israelis, it was a test of whether the traditional alliance often typified by America's protection of Israel at the U.N. remains unshakable in practice as well as in rhetoric.
Obama tried until the last possible moment to convince Palestinian Authority [PA] head Mahmoud Abbas to withdraw the resolution, but with no success. Backed by the Arab world, Abbas rejected the American contention that the issue of Israeli building on land it acquired in the 1967 war, which the Palestinians see as the land upon which its state will be built, is properly a matter for direct negotiations rather than third-party forums like the U.N.
Media reports in the region quoted unnamed Palestinian leaders as accusing Obama of "threatening" Abbas, warning of "repercussions" that could include a loss of aid, if the vote were to take place.
Israelis remained angry that their position regarding the legal status of post-1967 land and especially recognition of the difference between land lying within the borders of its capital, Jerusalem, and other land acquired in 1967, is so reflexively dismissed in what they see as a political rather than legal rendering.
. . . One immediate result of the American decision is a "day of rage" called for [in] the West Bank Friday [February 25]. Some fear the demonstration could trigger the sort of protests that have been spreading throughout the Arab world but had not yet reached the Palestinian territories. (Excerpt by The Media Line, February 20, 2011)
[Reported by: Bridges for Peace]
- The Day of Rage is specifically against Obama and America. Pray that no innocent bystanders will be injured. Pray that our Bridges for Peace team remain safe in the midst of turbulent times.
- "Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men; preserve me from violent men, who plan evil things in their hearts; they continually gather together for war." (Psalm 140:1-2)
The Good News Corner:
Mighty Prayer Warrior
YOU MUST watch this short video - it will change something in your life!! THIS is THAT GENERATION!!!!!!
Isaiah (in this video) is 5 years old - he and his mother are members at Potters House - in an interview with CBS after this prayer went viral he said, "My Mama taught me how to pray but God told me WHAT to say!!!" THIS IS AWESOME!
Submitted by: Marsha A; Dallas, TX
Worship with Us Today!
"Gimme That Old-Time Religion"
Sung by a group from South Africa.
Go here and enjoy . . . amen . . .